10 Movies to Watch When You’re Single on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

If the only people you plan to see on Valentine’s Day is your professors, single friends or a pint of Ben and Jerry’s then I have you covered. These 10 movies are perfect to watch when you’re single on Valentine’s Day.

1. Eat Pray Love

Julia Roberts character had a man and thought her life was great, that is until she finds herself divorced and lost. She decides she needs something new in life and goes on a journey of discovery and self-love. She ends up finding herself in Italy, India and Bali.

2. Valentine’s Day

This star-studded movie, which features Bradley Cooper, Anne Hathaway, Ashton Kutcher and more, follows these interlocking stories of how people celebrate Valentine’s Day. It’s a movie of first dates, young love and throwing “I Hate Valentine’s Day” parties. It’s got scenarios that everyone can relate too. Also, you get to watch Bradley Cooper for two hours, and I couldn’t think of a better way to spend Valentine’s Day.

3. The Other Woman

One woman is dating a man, she thinks it’s going well until she shows up at his house and surprise! He’s married. His wife finds out about the other woman, and they start a friendship over their bond of being cheated on. They then find out there’s another woman involved with him.  It’s a story about women forming bonds over heartbreak and realizing they came out better on the other side together. Who doesn’t love women empowerment?

4. How to be Single

After being in a long term relationship, Dakota Johnson’s character decides she wants to see what else is out there. Rebel Wilson’s character, who’s a wild party girl, takes her under her wing and teaches her ways of how to be single and how to live her life now that she no longer has a man. If you’re like me and you’ve always been single, you don’t need tips. But hey, it’s a funny movie!

5. Bridesmaids

Ever get that feeling when you’re single and your life is falling apart? There’s nothing better than watching your best friend get married and having to be her maid-of-honor. Kristen Wiig’s character is totally relatable when she finds herself alone but having to help her best friend plan the best day of her life while trying to keep herself sane. “Help me, I’m poor.” Relating to college students one day at a time.

6. 27 Dresses

Always a bridesmaid, never a bride. Katherine Heigl’s character has an extensive closet of bridesmaids dresses, but no wedding gown. She’s everyone’s go-to when it comes to wedding planning, and when her sister is the one getting engaged, and to the man she loves she’s at a loss of what to do. Then a man comes into her life… is it finally time for her to be the bride? I don’t know about you, but I’m already cleaning out a spot in my closet for my future extensive collection of bridesmaid gowns. #SingleForever

7. Bride Wars

Anne Hathaway and Kate Hudson’s characters are best friends and have been planning their dream weddings since they were kids. When they get engaged at the same time, they can’t wait to plan together. Until their weddings fall on the same date, at the same place. Will this be what ends their friendship? Basically, if you want your wedding to be held at the Plaza Hotel in New York, alert your friends of the date and secure your spot early.

8. Pretty Woman

What do you get when you mix a prostitute with a wealthy business man? A love story. A wealthy business man decides to pick up a prostitute during a trip to LA but after asking her to stay for the weekend they get closer than they expected, but there’s bumps in the way when they soon realize that they truly come from different worlds. A man wants to buy you pretty dresses and jewelry? Sign me up.

9. The Princess Diaries

One day, Mia is just living her normal, ordinary life. But then she finds out she’s actually the princess of Genovia. Next thing she knows she’s needed in Genovia by her grandma and finds herself having to be taught the ways of being a proper princess and needing a complete makeover. Sha faces hurdles of keeping true to herself and finding her way to the throne. You’re lying to yourself if you never wanted to be told you’re actually a real life princess.

10. 500 Days of Summer

You’re dating a girl and you want to spend the rest of your life with her while she doesn’t even believe in relationships, but you “date” anyways. Your relationship is going well, at least you think. That’s until she decides you’re better off as just friends. What’s there left to do but reflect on your 500 days together and try and figure out what went wrong. Just when you think this is a love story, they rip it from your hands. Beware…

A sophomore at Kent State University majoring in journalism with a minor in fashion media. I love to workout and hang out with friends and hike! I love reading and writing about fashion, health, and relationships and how to balance your life in college.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.