This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

As a movie lover, I find myself constantly scrolling through the recommended movie lists full of the same twenty movies that I have either already seen or have no chance of watching and wonder where Netflix got the idea I would be interested in them. If you are in this position too, here are ten movies across several genres and streaming services that I loved and believe deserve a spot on the recommended lists. Happy watching!

‘Burning’ (Netflix)

For fans of: suspenseful drama-mystery

Burning (2018) is a Korean thriller with a slow-burn effect, intertwined with societal commentary. Follow Lee Jong-su, a reserved writer looking for inspiration, as he reconnects with an old neighbor and her mysteriously charming new friend, Ben (Steven Yeun of The Walking Dead). The tone keeps you on the edge of your seat, wondering what the true intentions of each character are as their relationships build.

‘Loving Vincent’ (Hulu)

For fans of: art history and classic crime dramas

Beyond the story this film tells, Loving Vincent (2017) is unlike anything I have seen before as the entire movie is animated using oil paintings. The film tells the story of artist Vincent van Gogh’s mysterious death as a curious Armand (Douglas Booth) attempts to decode the events of Gogh’s final days. Watch Gogh’s famous paintings come to life, woven in with a suspenseful crime investigation.

‘About Time’ (Netflix)

For fans of: unique romantic comedies

About Time (2013) is the classic romantic comedy you love with a sci-fi twist. Starring Domhnall Gleeson and Rachel McAdams, this film follows Tim as he discovers his family secret: the men in the family can travel in time. This is an underrated gem with unique takes on a conventional love story.

‘The Farewell’ (Amazon Prime Video)

For fans of: dramas about the strength of family

This is one of the most recent releases on this list that I believe still is not being talked about enough. The Farewell (2019) is a drama-comedy based on the true story from writer and director Lulu Wang, following Billi (Awkwafina) who discovers that her grandmother is ill and her family, based on tradition, does not want to tell her. The result is a heart-warming comedy that talks to the strength of family in times of adversity.

‘Prisoners’ (HBO)

For fans of: riveting crime dramas

Prisoners (2013) is the perfect movie for those of us who have seemingly watched every crime documentary/film available. This all-star cast, including Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Viola Davis and Melissa Leo, delivers impressively raw performances following the story of two neighboring families whose daughters go missing and the harrowing police investigation that follows.

‘Green Room’ (Netflix)

For fans of: horror-thrillers and band culture

Fair warning about the graphic violence depicted in this movie! Green Room (2015) follows a punk rock band set to perform at a bar when they get trapped in the green room by a group of neo-Nazis after witnessing a murder. This is a great horror movie for fans of the genre with unique characters and strong performances.

‘Good Time’ (Netflix)

For fans of: one wild night movies

If you loved the recent Safdie Brothers film Uncut Gems, this movie is a must-watch. Good Time (2017) stars Robert Pattinson as a dedicated man embarking on a suspenseful journey to get his brother out of jail after a robbery went wrong. Watch this for a gritty look at the underworld of New York with impressive cinematography that accompanies a Safdie Brothers film.

‘Luce’ (Hulu)

For fans of: “did he or didn’t he” dramas

Another recent release that I have not heard enough people talking about. Luce (2019) combines an intriguing story with a powerhouse cast starring Naomi Watts, Octavia Spencer, Kelvin Harrison Jr. and Tim Roth. A seemingly perfect high school student (Harrison) begins to clash with his teacher (Spencer) in a battle of race, sanity and the mind.

‘The Host’ (YouTube Movies/Hulu)

For fans of: classic monster movies

I wanted to include a film that anyone can watch on YouTube with minimal ads, and The Host (2006) is a great option. If you are a fan of Parasite, The Host is another excellent film by director Bong Joon Ho. Following the Park family, a sea monster invades the city of Seoul and captures a member of the family, resulting in an action-packed revenge journey. The movie is quite timely as it deals with an outbreak in the city so let this be a warning if you would rather escape from the current situation.

‘Y Tu Mamá También’ (Netflix)

For fans of: coming of age stories

From the acclaimed director of Roma, Alfonso Cuarón, is Y Tu Mamá También (2001) documenting the journey of two teenage boys and an older woman to a beautiful, secluded beach in Mexico. Each work through internal conflicts along their road-trip, exploring culture, love and friendship.

I hope that you enjoyed this list and will be watching some of these excellent films in the near future!

Lainey is a senior at Kent State University studying Fashion Design with a minor in Costume Design & Technology. She is so excited to be the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Kent State this year and to start her career in costume design for film and television. Read on for the latest on film, fashion, music and much more!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.