Style > Fashion

10 Clothing Staples You Must Have in Your Fall Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Fall is loved for many things. It is the season for pumpkin spice latte lovers and the Gilmore Girls obsessed. But it is also one of the most fashionable times of the year, and with fall just around the corner, it is time to start planning outfits. It can be stressful to build your perfect fall wardrobe. So, I have created a list of 10 clothing staples that I think you should add to your closet this fall.

Sweaters/Cardigans

Sweaters and cardigans are probably the first thing that comes to mind when you think of fall fashion. They come in a variety of different patterns and colors and are an easy piece to style. They are typically paired with jeans, pants or skirts and are a great closet staple.

Screen Shot 2020 08 13 at 34832 PM?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
A Shoulder Bag

You can never go wrong with a simple shoulder bag. Not only are they practical, but I believe they are essential to the perfect fall look. My go to colors for shoulder bags in the fall are black, brown and denim.

Black Boots

In the last couple of years, Dr. Martens have made a comeback, especially in fall fashion. It is always good to have a classic black boot, tall or short, in your closet that can be paired with any outfit.

Mini SKirt

Another classic fall staple is a black mini skirt. My personal favorite fall look is pairing an oversized sweater with a black mini skirt, which is both comfortable and fashionable. If mini skirts aren’t your thing, midi and maxi skirts are also great options.

Cargo Pants

One thing I have really been loving lately is cargo pants. You have the ability to dress them up with a leather jacket or dress them down with a baggy tee. The possibilities are endless, and you can wear them all year long.

light Jackets

With the fall season comes chilly temperatures, and who wouldn’t want a jacket that is both cute and keeps you warm? Leather, corduroy, or denim are all great options. Finish up the look by pairing it with your favorite long sleeve and jeans.

Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television
Long Sleeve Basics

If I could choose one thing to buy from this list, it would probably be long sleeve tees. When you sleep through your alarm and are in a rush to pick out an outfit for class, this is by far the easiest thing to throw on and make an outfit with on the fly.

Jeans

Jeans are probably the most obvious addition to this list, but nevertheless, are an essential part of curating your perfect fall wardrobe. I personally love bootcut and baggy jeans, but any kind of jean goes well with the previous clothing pieces mentioned.

Graphic Tees

Lately, I have been obsessed with graphic tees and pairing them simply with a pair of jeans and a shoulder bag. I especially love graphic tees that show off my favorite movies and music.

Plaid

It couldn’t be a fall list without some plaid. It’s always good to have some plaid in your closet whether it’s in the form of a dress, skirt, pants or even a flannel.

Clueless
Paramount Pictures

Fall is a great time of year to up for style. From layering, to textures to even just matching the fall aesthetic. Fall is a very comfortable but a very stylish season, and is a great time of year to up your wardrobe.

Ava Murak

Kent State '27

Ava Murak is a freshman at Kent State with a major in marketing. She was born and raised in Buffalo NY and hopes to work in the fashion industry after graduation. In her free time, Ava can be found reading, shopping, listening to music, and trying out new coffee shops.