10 Books Every Girl Should Read in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Whether you are finishing freshman year, or about to graduate and enter the workforce, you’re probably trying to figure out how this whole “adult thing” works. At this point our lives, it’s comforting to know that there are other people who have similar situations. This list of recommended books, in no particular order, is meant to let college-aged women know that they are in good company. So get ready to curl up on the couch, sip on your coffee and enjoy one of these books!  

1. F*ck, I’m in my Twenties by Emma Koenig

Laugh out loud with Emma Koenig’s blog-turned-novel about life after college. In this humorous collection of both her most popular blog posts and new material, Emma Koenig sums up what the typical twenty-something’s love life, career, personal and social life is like.

2. Dreamland by Sarah Dessen

Caitlin’s older sister, Cass, is perfect. At eighteen, she is an overachiever in high school and Yale-bound. Just before she was supposed to go off to college, she runs away. Caitlin’s world is altered; she feels lost. After spending years of being overshadowed by her sister’s accomplishments, Caitlin must now step out from her sister’s shadow and find herself. Cue a new boyfriend, Rogerson. When things get out of control, Caitlin has no choice but to forge a new identity.

3. 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Clay Jenson receives a shoe box containing a set of cassette tapes. Upon listening to these tapes, he is shocked to hear the voice of Hannah Baker, a classmate who committed suicide. Clay is just one of thirteen specific people who receives these tapes. He spends the rest of the day and night listening to Hannah’s voice as she explains the thirteen reasons why she decided to commit suicide. In Jay Asher’s first novel, he covers not only a heavy topic, but one that is all too real.

4. How to Be a Hepburn in a Hilton World by Jordan Christy

In a world steered by celebrity gossip and social media, the Audreys and Katherines seem to be hard to come by. At the end of the day, that charm is hard to replace. Future employers still look for professionalism. Despite what we think, guys still look for a girl to bring home to mom. “Classy” is trait that never dies. Jordan Christy tells us how to acheive class in her book, How to be a Hepburn in a Hilton World.

5. Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close

In Girls in White Dresses, Jennifer Close writes about a trio of friends who feel like everyone they know is getting married. They spend countless Sunday afternoons putting on plastic smiles at bridal shower after bridal shower. Meanwhile, each girl struggles to maintain her own love life. Jennifer Close writes with dry satirical humor in this book about early adulthood.

6. The Goddess and Other Women by Joyce Carol Oates

In this collection of 25 short stories, Joyce Carol Oates explores women’s struggles to achieve personal identity in a male-dominated society despite the molds in which they are cast. Although the book has a bit of a dark tone, Oates bases many of these stories off her interest in the goddess, Kali, known as the Destroyer. Hindus believe Kali to be a nurturer, giver of life, a warrior, and often referred to as the “Queen of Heaven,” and the “Queen of Hell.” The women portrayed in The Goddess and Other Women show a variety of these traits.

7. The Awakening by Kate Chopin

Set in 19th century New Orleans, Edna Pontellier struggles to suppress her then unorthodox opinions on feminism and motherhood in competition with the social attitudes of the American South. Considered to be a landmark in early feminism, The Awakening is one of the first American novels to focus on women’s issues without hesitation.

8. #GirlBoss by Sophia Amorusa

#GirlBoss tells Sophia Amoruso’s unique journey that brought her to being the founder, CEO, and creative director of Nasty Gal, a $100 million+  online fashion retailer that employs over 350 people. What makes this particular book unique is that it is incredibly personal. Not only does it follow Amoruso’s path from committing petty theft and dumpster diving to being a CEO, but it proves that a major key to success isn’t what you normally hear in a classroom. All you really need to do is trust your instincts, go with your gut and know when to break the rules.

9. The Her Campus Guide to College Life by Stephanie Kaplan Lewis, Annie Chandler Wang, Windsor Hanger Western, and Her Campus Editors

That’s right. Her Campus’ advice has been published in a book! From dating to internships, this book covers everything you need to know about college. Written by the experts behind Her Campus, this college guide is full of tips ranging from navigating your classes, relationships and all your extracurriculars. You’ll also get the low-down on campus safety so you can enjoy all that college has to offer while avoiding the unfortunate scary parts that may come with it. The Her Campus Guide to College Life shows you how to make the most out of your experience inside and outside the classroom.

10. Adulting: How to Become a Grown-up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps by Kelly Williams Brown

Let’s face it. We’re at that point in our lives. We aren’t kids anymore, but we sure as hell don’t feel like adults. This grown-up stuff is confusing. In Adulting, Kelly Williams Brown writes about all the things they never taught us in school. It covers a wide variety of topics, ranging from finding a mechanic you love (and more importantly, will not cheat you), what to check for when renting a new apartment (aside from local bars), to avoiding a hook-up with anyone in your office. This book, based on Brown’s blog, is funny, smart, insightful, and makes the “adult world” all the more approachable.

Lauren Milligan is a senior English major at Kent State University. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a content creator for the Odyssey. When she's not scribbling in her journal, sipping coffee and writing at Tree City Coffee, she is probably feeding her horror movie obsession or hitting up local bookstores to contribute to the small library in her bedroom.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.