This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Looking for new music to add to your playlist? Look no further: here are ten artists that I love and think deserve more recognition!

Donna Missal

An empowering artist, Donna Missal has an impressive discography that goes beyond a few hits. Her latest album, This Time, is full of anthems and powerful vocals that are perfect to sing along to while driving. Some of my favorites include “Girl,” “Keep Lying” (watch the music video here) and “Driving.”

Dennis Lloyd

Nir Tibor, known as Dennis Lloyd, is an Israeli musician who is best known for his song “Nevermind” (watch the music video here). Along with being a singer and instrumentalist, he also writes and produces all of his music. Other favorites include “Think About It” and “Leftovers.”

MACK

MACK, or mackandgold on social media, showed up on my Discover Weekly on Spotify awhile ago. I was very happy to find an artist who has fun songs with a nostalgic feeling. Mack currently has only four songs available on Spotify, but my favorites are “Before We Sleep” and “Underprivileged Pleasure” (watch the music video here).

Conan Gray

As a follower of Conan Gray’s for a couple of years, I was excited to see his latest EP release, Sunset Season, and was equally impressed when he delivered five power anthems for Generation Z. My favorite song of the past months has been “Crush Culture” (watch the music video here), that comments on his distaste for the conventions of modern love and crushes. On the other side (another song you should listen to), his song “Lookalike” offers a painful look into heartbreak.

Alice Merton

Alice Merton may be best known for her hit, “No Roots,” but the rest of her discography proves to be equally as catchy. Her newest album, Mint, is full of energetic songs that are easy to dance along to, including “Lash Out” (watch the music video here), “Speak Your Mind” and “Learn to Live.”

Carter Ace

Carter Ace is a five-person band that creates a unique sound by blending influences from Jazz, R&B, Hip-Hop and more. Their song “I Think I’m Normal” (watch the music video here), along with several of their other songs, offers commentary on the reality of the political and social climate within a peppy, hopeful-sounding song. Their newest song, “Slip,” has a unique, dream-like quality that makes it an easy and enjoyable listen.

Wet

Wet is a band that first gained popularity in 2016 with their album Don’t You. Recently, their sound has shifted with the lead singer, Kelly Zutrau, taking creative control on their 2018 album Still Run. Both have proven to be successful with songs like “There’s A Reason” and “Deadwater” (watch the music video here) being personal favorites. Their sound is elegant and atmospheric, providing great songs to study along to.

Peach Pit

This band perfectly blends the feelings of cringy teenage angst and nostalgic summer. I highly recommend watching their music videos as they are hilariously overdramatic. “Seventeen,” “Alrighty Aphrodite” and “Drop the Guillotine” (watch the music video here) showcase their unique and quirky songwriting.

King Princess

Mikaela Straus, known as King Princess, is a musician that has taken the world by storm with her hit song, “1950.” Her songs focus on love beyond boundaries, such as “1950,” about which Straus said, “Queer love was only able to exist privately for a long time, expressed in society through coded art form.” Other personal favorites include “Talia” and “Upper West Side” (watch the music video here).

grandson

Jordan Edward Benjamin, or grandson, is a Canadian-American artist. His music focuses on the ideas of power and corruption, especially his song, “Blood // Water” (watch the music video here). His EPs, a modern tragedy vol. 1 and a modern tragedy vol. 2 provide high energy songs like “Despicable” and “Apologize.”

Special Mention: The Jonas Brothers

If you haven’t heard their new song, “Sucker,” what are you doing??

Lainey is a senior at Kent State University studying Fashion Design with a minor in Costume Design & Technology. She is so excited to be the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Kent State this year and to start her career in costume design for film and television. Read on for the latest on film, fashion, music and much more!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.