vonecia carswell 38GIMU7P5tE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
vonecia carswell 38GIMU7P5tE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

Winning Tips for First Time Pageant Contestants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

Pageants have become an extremely popular activity for many women and girls over the years. As the popularity of major pageant systems such as Miss America, Miss USA, Miss Universe, Miss Teen USA, and Miss World grows, more women are becoming interested in competing in pageants. Choosing to participate in a pageant comes with a lot of decision making that can be intimidating for first-time competitors. I have compiled some of the best tips to help you be successful and confident in your first pageant.

Choosing the Right System for You

A big part of the process of registering for a pageant is choosing a system that fits your personal goals and morals. According to Pageant Planet, it is important to do research on various pageant systems so that you can find one that works best for you. There are multiple ways you can go about doing this including researching through social media, checking the system’s website, and asking titleholders who have competed in that system what it is like. After doing your research, you will need to decide what competition phases you would like to compete in. This will help you narrow down your options as systems like Miss USA, Miss United States, and Miss Earth require swimsuit while systems like USA National Miss and Miss Collegiate America do not.

Preparing for Your Pageant

Now that you have registered for your first pageant, it is time to prepare. Preparation for most pageants generally looks the same, but your preparation will specifically depend on the required phases of competition for the pageant system you chose. Ideally, you will need to prepare for an interview, swimsuit or runway, evening gown, and on-stage question. Many contestants take on pageant coaching as an extra form of guidance through the preparation phase. According to Winning Through Pageantry, partnering with a pageant coach can help you clarify how to achieve your goals and identify your competitive edge. Whether you choose to work with a coach or not, you should start preparing for all phases of competition six months ahead or as soon as you register for your pageant.

Hair & Makeup

You may be asking yourself, “I just registered for my pageant, why would I already be thinking about a hair and makeup artist?” Although it may sound silly, it’s never too early to find a great hair and makeup artist for your pageant. Some contestants book their hair and makeup artists as early as a year in advance. When choosing a hair and makeup artist, it is important to consider the beauty rules of your system, your personal makeup preferences, and the artist’s capability. According to Victoria Duke, your hair and makeup play a vital role in your chances of winning a pageant.

Finding the Perfect Wardrobe

An important part of any pageant is wardrobe, as it helps the judges get a sense of your personal style. When choosing your wardrobe, it is important to ask yourself a few key questions:

1. What is your personal style?
  2. Is this clothing item on brand for my system?
  3. Do I feel confident in this outfit?

According to pageant gown designer Ashley Lauren, your pageant wardrobe should show off your style, tell a story, and be planned well in advance to give time for alterations. With these tips, your wardrobe is sure to lead to a successful pageant weekend.

Time to Compete

You have prepared and you have done the work. Now, it is time to compete! For many first-time pageant competitors, nerves can take over your confidence during pageant weekend. Outsideonline.com recommends enjoying the moment rather than dwelling on whether you will win or not. After all, you have worked so hard to compete in your very first pageant so you should be confident in your journey and proud of yourself no matter the outcome.

Hi! I’m Taylor. I’m a Journalism & Emerging Media Major at Kennesaw State University and I’m a member of HerCampus @ KSU! I love all things beauty, pop culture, pageants, and broadcasting. When I graduate, I plan on working for a broadcasting network as an investigative reporter. I hope you follow Her Campus At KSU so you never miss our articles! ?
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!