This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

The last presidential debate took place this past Thursday, and was a strong improvement from the first debate of the election season that aired late last month. This debate took on new rules, including a strict two minute speaking rule in which the candidates’ microphones were turned off when it was not their turn to speak. These rules created a more respectful environment and a more efficient conversation.

The debate was moderated by NBC journalist and White House correspondent Kristen Welker who seemingly stole the show. Welker was praised on social media for her performance as moderator, specifically for her adherence to debate rules and not allowing candidates to speak over her. Her outstanding job as moderator left many Americans wondering, who is Kristen Welker?

Welker was born on July 1, 1976 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to parent Harvey and Julie Walker. She graduated from Germantown Friends School in 1994 and went on to pursue a Bachelor of Arts at Harvard College from which she graduated in 1998. While in college, Welker jumpstarted her journalism career with an internship at Today in 1997.

After college, Welker worked at ABC affiliates in Rhode Island and California. She began her career at NBC in 2005 at their Philadelphia station where she was a reporter and weekend anchor. In 2010, she joined NBC News and she became the networks Whitehouse correspondent in December of 2011.

Since becoming the NBC Whitehouse correspondent, Welker has represented the network at multiple White House briefings. She became the regular co-anchor of Weekend Today with Peter Alexander in January of this year. The presidential debate was arguably a monumental moment in Welker’s career and left many Americans excited to see what she will do next.

If you missed the debate, be sure to click the link below to watch it in its entirety and see Welker in action.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/10/23/final-presidential-debate…

Hi! I’m Taylor. I’m a Journalism & Emerging Media Major at Kennesaw State University and I’m a member of HerCampus @ KSU! I love all things beauty, pop culture, pageants, and broadcasting. When I graduate, I plan on working for a broadcasting network as an investigative reporter. I hope you follow Her Campus At KSU so you never miss our articles! ?
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!