This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

When is it time to let go? I’ve had a hard time letting go of things throughout my life. Whether it be situations or relationships, I never know when it’s time to let go.

These past four years of college have been a whirlwind for me, and I have endured a lot personally. One of these things I have had trouble with is letting go of things that no longer serve me. I always feel the need to try and alleviate a situation or appease people to avoid confrontation. I’ve always looked at it as a blessing and curse, but after these four years, it’s just a curse.

This past year I went through something with a close friend, a best friend that ended in turmoil, something I thought would never happen, and for a long time, I tried to alleviate and appease, but it just was not working. After six months of trying, I had to figure out if these years were worth keeping or was it time to give up.

This decision didn’t come lightly either, and I spent some weeks in therapy explaining and debating. I reflected every day and tried to understand why this friendship was so important to me. After about two months, I decided to talk with my friend to try and reconcile because even after everything we went through, the good outweighed the bad.

This situation helped me realize a lot about myself, the person I am, and the person I want to be. People aren’t perfect, and situations aren’t always ideal, but we don’t have to stay in these situations just because we think that is right.

Akira Allen

Kennesaw '22

My name is Akira Allen. I am a senior biology major with a pre-med concentration at Kennesaw State University. I love writing, hanging out with my friends, and I am surprisingly really good at geography.