This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

PCOS, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, is a health condition that effects about 10 million females in the world. The cause for PCOS is unknown so there’s a lot of myths and misinformation regarding the condition. I’m going to break down the BS on PCOS and debunk 4 myths. 

Myth #1 You did something wrong to cause PCOS

While the exact cause of PCOS is unknown, YOU are NOT to blame! PCOS is a hormonal problem. Genetics and possibly environmental factors are believed to cause PCOS. Unfortunately, PCOS is the leading cause of female infertility and can cause a number of symptoms both physically and emotionally. 

Myth #2 You have to have irregular periods or cysts on your ovaries to have PCOS

This is so false! You can have irregular periods or cysts on your ovaries, or you can have a regular period/no cysts and still have PCOS. Symptoms of PCOS aren’t so cut and dry. Symptoms of PCOS can include higher levels of androgens, “male hormones”, that cause acne, unwanted hair, thinning hair and irregular periods, insulin resistance that can cause weight gain and increases risk of diabetes, or lack of progesterone. Due to the hormonal imbalance other symptoms can include fatigue, mood changes, pelvic pain, infertility, headaches, and sleep problems. Consult your doctor if you’ve experienced these symptoms. 

Myth #3 If you lose weight, you can get rid of PCOS

There is no cure for PCOS but managing your weight with proper diet and exercise can significantly improve symptoms. Unmanaged symptoms increase the likelihood of diabetes, heart disease and stroke. Medications are often offered to treat symptoms such as irregular periods, acne, excess hair and elevated blood sugar. 

Myth #4 You can’t get pregnant if you have PCOS

PCOS effects everyone differently. While it is the leading cause of infertility, some women have no issue getting pregnant. When you’re ready to start a family and you have PCOS, consult with your doctor on what options work best with your symptoms. 

PCOS is a lot of BS but managed properly, there’s less BS to deal with. For more information on symptoms and solutions visit pcosaa.org. 

Melissa Walsh

Kennesaw '22

Melissa is a Senior at Kennesaw studying both Journalism and Political Science. Her interests include politics, environmental issues, and human rights. In addition to being a writer for the Kennesaw Chapter, Melissa also serves as senior editor.
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!