Career

Underrepresentation of Women in Technology

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

In recent times women have continued to make history by positively impacting many fields within the technology sector with the likes of software engineering, web development, cybersecurity and many more tech related career paths. Women have created a space for themselves in technology, but are still the minority within the field.

Women now hold authoritative positions within the tech industry holding titles such as CEO , Senior engineer and Management which was once solely dominated by their male counterparts.

Although the field is beginning to evolve and more women are entering into the tech industry, males still dominate the field with women only holding 26.7% of technology jobs.

Leadership Positions held by woman compared to men

Women in the technology industry hold multiple managerial, senior level and leadership positions, but not so much compared to their male counterparts. Women make up only 10.9% of senior-level and CEO positions within the tech field.

One of the highest titles held within the technology industry would be that of Chief Executive Officer, a title only held by 5% of women working for fortune 500 companies.

About 20% of Women in tech over the age of 35 remain in junior-level positions, compared to just 5.9% of men over the age of 35 remaining in junior-level positions.

Women are often overlooked for senior-level and leadership positions within the tech industry, although often times their talent matches or even exceeds that of their male competitors.

Bridging the Gender gap

Many programs including scholarships, fellowships and tech boot camps have been created to help bridge the gap between underrepresented communities and the lack of diversity within the tech industry.

Per-Scholas, a tuition-free tech training program works to assist with education equality within the tech field, offering training to individuals who would have otherwise not been afforded such training. This is especially beneficial to women looking to enter the tech field with the necessary skills and training.

Fastweb.com and Scholarshipowl connect individuals to qualifying scholarships to offset the cost of education. Many of these scholarships include women in tech and stem, in addition to scholarships for minority groups. More and more scholarships are becoming dedicated to women in tech and stem-related career fields.

Blacks in Technology, offers a community of resources, training and networking for black men and women in the technology industry. The Blacks in Technology foundation also offers mentorship and certification vouchers for tech training and skillsets needed to enter and grow within the field.

Deja Craft

Kennesaw '25

Deja is a book worm and writing-loving southern girl! Originally from New Orleans, she loves the written word and wholeheartedly believes in the “power of the pen”. She is a computer science major with a minor in Business Law! She spends much of her time reading, learning programming languages, and freelance writing. She also enjoys poetry, sewing, and of course writing!