Twilight Was More Toxic Than We Thought…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

I know what most of y’all are probably thinking. Yes, I am aware that Twilight is a fan favorite and an iconic, beloved love story between a mortal and a kill– I mean, vampire. And yes, I am aware of the long-time debate about whether fans are #TeamEdward or #TeamJacob. However, when are we going to be #TeamBella?

The Twilight Saga Edward and Bella
Summit Entertainment

As I have gotten older, I have noticed more and more red flags between Edward and Bella’s relationship. Although this franchise is a cultural reset, it is up to us to stop glamorizing the abuse that Miss Swan endured.

Let’s get into it

Bella Swan had to be depressed when she arrived in Forks, Washington because she literally wanted to die for a 109-year-old vampire after only knowing him for about three weeks. This is when the audience sees how delusional she actually is. Not only did she drop her friends for the person who stalked her, gaslit her, and quite literally wanted to eat her, but she even put that 6’0, 109-year-old brunette icicle over her loving father, Charlie. In addition to that, it is also disturbing that a 109-year-old man in a teenager’s body fell in love with a 17-year-old girl…

Isn’t that suspicious? Bella… babes… your man who has the skin of a killer was about to start taking shots with God when he was dying during the Spanish Influenza, but he only survived because Carlisle saved him. It’s the lack of brain cells for me. However, as a Twilight fan, I have come to the conclusion that there is no use trying to make sense of this franchise as this is Stephanie Meyer’s world and we are just living in it.

Was he in love or was he obsessed?

Edward told Bella that she was his “personal brand of heroin” in the first film. In. The. First. Film. They barely met and he was already down bad for her. Now, do I understand why? Absolutely not. Miss Swan had the personality of a brown paper bag and I am 99% sure she never bathed (why else would he run out of the room when the fan blew her mustiness into his face?) Anyway, my point is that him being so obsessed was already red flag number one out of 3,985,395.

he watched her as she slept

I don’t think I have to say much about this. Wait, who are we talking about here? Edward Cullen or Joe Goldberg? #IWOLFYOUBELLA

In conclusion, if you want to watch Twilight again, be aware of these red flags. Can you find even more?

Sydnee Goode

Kennesaw '23

Sydnee Goode is a Senior Choral Music Education Major at Kennesaw State University. After obtaining her Master's and Doctorate Degrees, she plans on teaching collegiate choral ensembles and traveling to make/share music with students all around the world. Sydnee joined Her Campus to share her opinions and explore her options while making real world connections.