Culture > Digital

Things I Have Learned from TikTok that I Wish I Knew Earlier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

TikTok is one of the most popular social media outlets of our time right now. There’s is a never-ending list of subjects that you will see while scrolling through the app. Something that I have come to appreciate about the app is how resourceful it is. I have learned so many things from TikTok videos that I would not know had I not been on the app. I feel like it’s only right to share some of the information or hacks that TikTok has taught me.

Putting your fruit in glass jars will help them stay fresh longer

When it comes to grocery shopping, buying fruit can be annoying due to how fast they start to go bad. There are times that I buy fruit, and it goes bad before I can eat most of it, which means I have to buy more. This idea of putting them in glass jars is brilliant, and it also looks excellent in your fridge.

storing your vegetables in water
@westwing

Did you know that you can help your veggies to stay fresh longer? 😳 #veggiehack #storagehack #hack #foodhacks #veggie

♬ “The Photo” –

Like the fruit hack above, I learned that putting vegetables like carrots, celery, and avocadoes in containers submerged in water keeps them fresh. I like all three of these vegetables, so this hack was a godsend.

numbing spray on your feet when wearing heels

I don’t wear heels often, but when I do, I know that I will wear them for a few hours. There is a different and sinister type of pain that comes with wearing heels. The idea of spraying numbing spray on your feet before putting on heels is genius. I can’t wait to try it when the time comes.

pour out the water in your spray bottles

This information is the most recent piece of advice I learned from TikTok, and I was shocked to learn it. I immediately shared this one with several friends and family. I often use spray bottles when detangling my hair, and I usually leave the remaining water in the bottle. After learning that the water left in the bottle could cause bacteria to build up, which is not suitable for your hair, I will never leave water in it again.

using a flat brush for a more natural foundation look

Making sure my foundation looks as natural as possible is always my goal when wearing makeup. I know the finish of your foundation tends to depend on the type of brush you use. I usually used beauty blenders or the best foundation brushes that I could find. This TikTok shows how using a flat makeup brush will help your foundation look the most natural to your skin. This one makes me excited to get a new foundation and try this hack with a flat foundation brush.

looking up someone before a date

Everybody knows that dating in this society can be scary, especially when going on dates with a stranger. I learned from Tik Tok that you could look up the person you are going out with on a voter registration site to get pieces of information about them. You can check out your county’s Court of Clerk website to see if they have any criminal background. We live in scary times, so I advise that many people consider doing this.

being super biased will get you removed from jury duty
@kaychelle_

Y’all wanna know how to get out of jury duty??? Promise y’all this work everytime 😭😂😂 #juryduty

♬ original sound – Kaychelle_

This information was random but funny because I have always been afraid of being selected for jury duty. I believe that it is a huge responsibility that I will most likely never be prepared for. I also watch too many police sitcoms where people on juries are targeted. If you present yourself as biased when questioning you, they will dismiss you as a juror. I saw one TikTok where someone said that their grandma was selected for jury duty, and when they were reading the charges someone had against them, she gasped, and they dismissed her. This advice could be helpful to keep you from being dismissed or help you get out.

switching from high-intensity workouts

I am not the biggest fan of doing high-intensity workouts all the time, so I’m always looking for alternatives to try. Doing pilates, low-intensity exercises, and walking in the place of those high-intensity workouts will do you good as well. I definitely will take advantage of doing those consistently when I don’t want to participate in high-intensity exercises.

removing dust from surfaces

Filling a bucket with water and adding laundry detergent makes the perfect solution to get rid of dust. I love doing this with my baseboards in my room and the high shelf of my desk. Those areas have the most dust in my room and it gets so annoying. I wish I would have known about this hack sooner because it works so well.

hyaluronic acid on a damp face
@daninicholls

Don’t forget to apply to DAMP skin 💦 ft @vichylaboratoires + @theinkeylist ✨ #retinolskincare #acnetreatment #tretinoin #hyaluronicaid

♬ Aesthetic – Xilo

I started using hyaluronic acid last summer and was applying it to my face when it was dry. I came across this video and ever since I have applied it when my face was damp. It is good at hydrating my skin and giving it a nice dewy look.

Ambria Burton

Kennesaw '22

Ambria is a senior at Kennesaw State University where she studies journalism and political science. She enjoys listening to music, spending too much time on Pinterest, and learning about entertaining things within the world. She hopes to write in political and local reporting once she graduates.