This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

As February and Black History Month in the U.S. have come to a close, it goes without saying that Black businesses should be supported more than just one month in the year. One brand has raised the bar above all others in the world of fashion, however. This brand is owned by Liberia-born, New York-based fashion designer Telfar Clemens. Many know the brand mononymously as Telfar. While the brand has been established since 2005, they have gained an immense following due to the success of their shopping bags. During last year’s rise in protests following the deaths of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor, the importance of supporting Black-owned businesses grew higher and higher. People have also looked to brands that are accessible and eco-friendly, and Telfar does just that. With accessories made from vegan leather and all products being made in-house and in small batches, Telfar provides products that look and feel good.

When it comes to Telfar shopping bags, the beauty of it is that they are luxury bags with an affordable price, in terms of it being a fashion house. The bags come in three different sizes and practically an entire rainbow of colors, so there is a size and style for anyone and everyone. While dropping $150-$260 on a bag is not an everyday circumstance, it definitely meets and even beats the price of many luxury brands today. The opportunity cost of purchasing a bag that was created by hand without the use of cheap labor and with environmentally conscious products beats purchasing a bag that was most likely made in a sweatshop. 

Due to the resurgence of the brand’s popularity, there have been limits on the purchase of these bags. Weekly drops have been implemented into the brand, with bags, clothing, and other accessories dropping almost every week. This provides an incentive for customers to interact with the brand’s social media and website as products come through on a first-come, first-serve basis. Telfar does open up more access every now and again, though, as they even began a bag security program in which anyone could pre-order any bag in any size or color, and would then receive it months later. Bags would continue to be available for purchase, though, so there is still equal opportunity.

As the proud owner of a black medium shopper, I can say that I felt good about my purchase and even better as I wear it. Admittedly, there was a bit of buyer’s remorse as it was my first luxury purchase, but the reward was well worth it. Buying from Black-owned brands is really a pleasure of mine, as I know who I am giving my money to and I know that the person behind it is someone like me.   

Amariyah Callender is a 20-year-old journalist from Decatur, Georgia. She is currently studying Journalism and Emerging Media at Kennesaw State University. She has been in the journalism field for the past seven years, writing for local media platforms such as VOX ATL and Lotus Rosery. With a passion for music and lifestyle, Callender doesn't shy away from media buzz, the next big artist, or what's going on in the music scene in the Metro-Atlanta area. She also enjoys writing about her own personal experiences and how they have shaped her life as it is today. Read her latest article here!
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!