“Black Women In Politics” Graphic
“Black Women In Politics” Graphic
Design by Hannah Watson
Culture > News

From Shirley Chisholm to Kamala Harris: Black Women in Politics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

On November 5, 1968, Shirley Chisholm won the New York 12th Congressional District election. In winning, she broke a glass ceiling by becoming the first black woman to gain a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives. This historic accomplishment was powerful enough to provide Black women with the opportunity to have a public government official that could identify with their personal experiences and issues. However, Chisholm’s breaking of glass was not simply specific to New York. Four years later, she would announce her bid for president; a move that was simultaneously striking and monumental. Again, her hammer would shatter glass. While proclaiming that she was “unbought and unbossed,” Chisholm became the first Black woman to announce a presidential bid. Although she did not win the Democratic party’s nomination, Chisholm’s time in the shattering business had already left a positive imprint on the Black female population. Black girls and women could look to Shirley Chisholm as a symbolic message that they too could dream and attempt to obtain space in non-welcomed areas. 

As a result, many other dynamic Black women picked up a hammer and a shift in the shattering business. Lelia Foley-Davis made history as the first black female mayor, Barbara Jordan became the first to be elected to the Texas Senate and Carol Moseley Braun historically became the first to be an assistant Democratic Majority Leader. Patricia Harris was the first to serve in a presidential cabinet and Loretta Lynch became the first to be appointed U.S. Attorney General. Recently, Stacy Abrams used her hammer to become the first black woman to be a major party’s gubernatorial nominee and Senator Kamala Harris just became the first black woman to be a major party’s vice-presidential candidate. Clearly, black women are important in the political arena. When they are elected, they shatter glass, author much-needed legislation, and make power moves that impact not only the U.S., but the entire world. Therefore, to capture glass breakers in real time, I dived into my own local community. In exclusive interviews, Clarkston Mayoral Candidate Yterenickia Bell and Georgia State Representative Sandra Scott spoke to me on being a black woman in politics and the ceilings that they have or plan to break. 

While young, Yterenickia “YT” Bell is already using her hammer. She has served as a Councilwoman for the city of Clarkston and is currently running to be the city’s mayor. If elected, she will become the first black female mayor of Clarkston. Here is what she had to say on being a black woman in politics:  

Why are you running in the November Clarkston Mayoral election? 

Candidate Bell: I am running, Hannah, because representation matters. 54 percent of our population [Clarkston population] is of individuals that look like me—that are black and brown. Most of them are women. We have never had a woman—a black woman to ever lead in this city in 138 years. With that, I was on the city council from 2017 to 2020. I most recently vacated to run for mayor. In that time frame, I realized that there is a deep earnest and desire for leadership that appeals to them, [black and brown people] that has similar, but not the same issues they would desire to move forward on. I want to continue the work I started. I started a lot of this work in economic development, community development, and healthcare/mental health while I was on the city council. Three years seems like a lot, but it’s not enough in order to really move the margin and move the needle. I’m just going to finish what I started and make sure that I can increase people’s quality of life.

The city of Clarkston is located 9.49 miles away from the historic city of Atlanta. However, Clarkston is just as meaningful. It is known as the “Ellis Island of the South” and the “most diverse square mile in America.” In fact, it is home to over 13,500 individuals who embrace minority business owners and welcome refugees. How will you work to maintain Clarkston’s diverse culture and further improve the city?  

Candidate Bell: The first step is making sure that all diverse parties are apart of the conversation and input. The other part of that is I don’t know everything. As you think about refugees and asylum seekers, a lot of them had to flee their native country due to government. So, there is a lack of trust there. What I do and what I plan on doing is just relying on the people that they trust. A lot of them came here and got support from non-profits and local churches. I’m really going to take on a government style called collaborative government. I don’t want to just be the “end all be all” decision-maker. I want to learn from the people that are working with our most vulnerable populations. I want to work with them to come up with solutions that are viable for our community to maintain that diversity. To further improve our city, I want to reach out to business owners and residents. I want to have a door-to door knock survey. I want people to know that from day one of this job, I am taking it very seriously.

When did you know that you wanted to be in politics? 

Candidate Bell: I don’t think I ever knew. Sometimes in life you have other people that can see the path and vision that you should have for yourself. With that, I always encourage everyone to get a mentor; someone to push them outside of their comfort zone. Politics is not comfortable. It’s hard and rigid. It’s all about relationships, but people don’t tell you that. I was about twenty-two when I got deep into understanding the political landscape and how things are ran. 

From Shirley Chisholm to Kamala Harris, black women in politics have and continue to break the glass ceiling that they face. If elected, you will become the first black female mayor of Clarkston. How will you embrace this opportunity? 

Candidate Bell: I’ll be the first millennial black woman to ever sit in this seat. That comes with it’s own challenges. Not only because of the color of my skin, but because of my age. When I was interested in councilwoman, they said I wasn’t old enough, I didn’t have enough life experiences and I didn’t know enough. So, I was just inadequate all together. I was able to push some of the hardest polices and bring forth some of the great initiatives that people still thank me for. Leila Foley-Davis was the first black woman to ever become a mayor in the United States. I’m inspired. Those are the people that inspire me. I will embrace this opportunity. The black women and men on the campaign trail that told me their voice wasn’t being heard; I am going to amplify their voices as much as I can when ever I can. I am just here to be a pipeline of leadership. I want to make sure there are many after me.

In being successful, what piece of advice would you give to college aged women who want to pursue a career in politics? 

Candidate Bell: Understand that politics is personal. Relationships that you are gonna need in the future build them now. Treat people how you want to be treated. Always welcome a conversation. Educate yourself. Remember that you don’t know everything. You only learn when you adequately listen to somebody else. Don’t let fear limit you or eliminate you from doing the things you want to do in your life. Make sure that you are passionate and aren’t doing it [going into politics] because everyone else is doing it.

In conducting research, I discovered that State Representative Sandra G. Scott is yet, another glass breaker. Proudly, she has used her hammer in the political, military, and educational arena. Currently, she serves as a Representative for Georgia’s District 76. Here is her take on being a black woman in politics: 

From Shirley Chisholm to Kamala Harris, black women in politics have and continue to break the glass ceiling that they face. Like so many of these women, you have accomplished multiple influential milestones. Before becoming a State Representative, you served in the U.S. Army, as a teacher for over twenty years and on the Clayton County Board of Education. How will you continue to break glass ceilings and inspire black women?  

Representative Scott: I will continue to break glass ceilings by doing all I can for the people that I represent. The reason that I went into politics was to be able to keep people informed and abreast of the things that are going on in a political environment. As I continue on my journey and continue to be involved in organizations across the U.S., my goal is to further give knowledge and understanding. This is our time as black women. I will continue to harness black girls and get into organizations with black women that are looking to move the needle with our black girls. It is critical that we help prepare our young black girls to understand the power that they have. They have a lot of power within them that can be used in positive ways with positive outcomes and outlooks. That is what I try to do; to bring other women into this political arena, keep them motivated to aim and reach for the sky. 

You have served as a Georgia State Representative for District 76 since 2010. Why do you enjoy working as a politician? 

Representative Scott: I enjoy it because I really get the opportunity to help people. I am one of those that continue to be out in the field working. I work hard. I work tirelessly for the people of my community. My senior citizens, children, and veterans. Every day I wake up thinking what can I do to foster and to help them. I think that the legislation and the work that I do at the Capitol and around in my community people know and see [that]. Not only do people know that I work, people see me out working. That’s what elected officials must do. People need to see you out working. They need to see what you do. They need to see what you are bringing to the table. 

Your favorite quote is “If I can just help one person a day then, my Living will not be in vain.” Clearly, you have taken this to heart as you are dedicated to service. However, with the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, some people have been left wondering how they can still help others. In your opinion, how can we ensure that our living is not in vain despite the pandemic? 

Representative Scott: Stay steadfast, unmovable, continue to stay positive, and do the best that they can. We have a lot of organizations that are still reaching out and trying to help people on a day-to-day basis. They are just going to have to seek the resources that are out here. If they need help, they need to ask for help. People cannot be afraid during this time to call up their family, friends, and let them know that they need help. The most that anyone can do is go vote. Everything goes back to your vote. Everything we do goes back to our vote because local elections are very important. You work here. You live here. The people that you put in place are the people that make the decisions for you. Go vote, go vote. Your vote is your voice. 

In being successful, what piece of advice would you give to college-aged women who want to pursue a career in politics? 

Representative Scott: Call up an elected official and ask to be mentored. Most elected officials would be glad to have someone that they could mentor and take their place when they get ready to leave one day. Mentorship is good. If you are a college student and desire to be in politics, find someone who is into politics. 

During both interviews with Candidate Bell and Representative Sandra Scott, I was once again reminded that black women are important in the political arena. Yes, when they run and are elected, they shatter glass, author much-needed legislation, and make power moves that positively impact the world. Similar to the experience I had while conducting historical research, I could symbolically hear the sound of hammers clanging and glass shattering. However, I was also brought to a new and powerful revelation. When black women in politics shatter glass, they do not patch up the hole once they climb through. Instead, they reach back and extend a hand. When asked about their own personal accomplishments and goals, both Bell and Representative Scott spoke on their desires to help others. “I am just here to be a pipeline of leadership. I want to make sure there are many after me,” Candidate Bell responded. “I will continue to harness black girls and get into organizations with black women that are looking to move the needle with our black girls…keep them motivated to aim and reach for the sky,” Representative Scott remarked. Yes, just like Chisholm’s actions insinuated, glass shattering is a business. No, it is a non-profit that rejoices when others benefit. Therefore, while we as young black women are pulled through the many holes that have already been made, we must be inspired to also break monumental glass ceilings in the future.  

Hannah Watson is a Senior at Kennesaw State University majoring in Journalism and Emerging Media. Since high school, she has aspired to be a successful journalist. Actively, she works to unveil the diverse views and lifestyles of those within society and effectively inform all who will listen. As a Her Campus Kennesaw writer, she is seeking the pursuit of excellence in the dissemination of transcending information, gaining experience and encouraging women. Hannah is also a creative writer, bookworm and lover of music. She enjoys writing on all topics.
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!