Remembering Kobe Bryant: Inspiring Ways of the Mamba Mentality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

In recent events of the tragedy involving the death of legendary basketball player, Kobe Bryant, and his daughter, Gigi, there have been many posts on social media of how life is so short and to cherish the moments you are given as much as you can. Bryant impacted so many people in the world with his spirit alone. His legacy lives on, and so many quotes of his remind us that time is of the true essence.

“Have a good time. Life is too short to get bogged down and be discouraged. You have to keep moving.” -Kobe Bryant

The loss of someone so important and legendary often triggers a moment of self-actualization and to think about how the person has left an impact on your life. Things they did that inspired you, and if you have been moving in a way that they would have encouraged or been proud of. I am sure everyone is saddened by this tragic event and have realized even more how important Bryant’s mantras and words of inspiration are to hold close to them. Bryant was such a hardworking individual, a family man, and a man of confidence. He was one of my biggest inspirations in the way that he was continually bettering himself and those around him. Entering the league at such a young age caused people to look at him as an underdog, but he proved so many wrongs. I feel as though Kobe was a person that lived every day like it could be his last; he was very wise and knew that life was too short to do anything otherwise.

“Everything negative – pressure, challenges – is all an opportunity for me to rise.”- Kobe Bryant

It is a sad truth that death causes people to realize that something as simple as returning home safely from the grocery store is such a tremendous blessing. We never know when it is our time to go and how it will happen, but we must live as if we could be gone tomorrow and do everything to the best of our abilities today. There are always moments of self-doubt that you must learn to persevere through and accept. There will always be challenges that seem impossible to get over; you must know your power and be aware that nothing is sent to you that you cannot overcome. Power rises above pressure, and “determination chases success.”

“The most important thing is to try and inspire people so that they can be great at whatever they want to do.” – Kobe Bryant

You don’t have to be a basketball player or fan to be inspired by the words of Byrant. Celebrate and honor his life by being more self-aware and living with their best foot forward. Dedicate yourself to what makes you happy, understand that doubts and fear aren’t real, and live with intention and purpose. Try to understand just how powerful you are; we all have a little bit of Kobe in us.

Jasmine Holland

Kennesaw '22

I am a junior marketing major at Kennesaw State University from Augusta, Georgia #706 :) I love to write about topics relating to my own experiences, fitness, veganism, and anything that could make someone happy and/or motivate and inspire them. //ig:@plantingjasmines //ig: @jasminexmonique
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!