This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

SALT LAKE CITY, UT- Kamala Harris and Mike Pence talked COVID-19, healthcare, and climate change during the Vice Presidential debate Wednesday.

After a rocky start to the round of debates this election with the first Presidential debate between former Vice President Joe Biden and President Donald Trump, the two candidates’ running mates took to the stage to help American’s decide who to vote for. The debate took place at Kinsbury Hall in Salt Lake City, Utah and was a substantial improvement from the presidential debate as far as content and professionalism.

Both vice presidential candidates took the time to address the pandemic affecting our nation at the time. Pence ensured the American people that a vaccination for the virus would be coming sooner rather than later, while Harris accused the Trump administration of mishandling the pandemic and lying to the American people.

“The American people have witnessed what is the greatest failure of any presidential administration in the history of our country,” she said.

Vice President Pence combatted this argument by claiming the Trump administration’s handling of the pandemic has been solely based on Americans’ freedom and the way they decide to take (or not to) precautionary health measures.

“President Trump and I trust the American people to make the best choices for themselves about their health,” he said.

The next big topic the two discussed was healthcare, a topic in which both administrations have wildly different plans. Harris passionately pleaded with the American people concerning the Trump administration’s plans alleged to cutback healthcare for those with pre-existing conditions.

“If you have a pre-existing condition — heart disease, diabetes, breast cancer — they’re coming for you. … If you love someone who has a pre-existing condition, they’re coming for you. If you are under the age of 26 on your parents’ coverage, they’re coming for you,” she said.

Pence stressed the “disaster” was Obamacare and claimed that he and the president have developed a strong plan to ensure improved health care for all Americans, including those with pre-existing conditions. The republicans have set forth on a path of replacing the Affordable Care Act, but have yet to release a detailed plan on what that will entail.

Lastly, the two candidates fiercely debated the topic of climate change, a topic very relevant to our nation as wildfires have sprung up in California over the years. Pence acknowledged the climate change that is heavily affecting the United States but was hesitant to place the blame on Americans for its broad effect.

“Now, with regard to climate change, the climate is changing. But the issue is, what’s the cause and what do we do about it? President Trump has made it clear that we’re going to continue to listen to the science,” he said.

In response, Harris mentioned the president’s multiple instances of Trump allegedly referring to global warming as a “myth” and his lack of trust in science in regard to wildfires.

Although this debate was much more successful than the presidential debate, many Americans are still saying there was no clear winner. Who do you think won the debate? If you missed it, decide for yourself by watching below and happy voting!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_G0ia3JOVs

Hi! I’m Taylor. I’m a Journalism & Emerging Media Major at Kennesaw State University and I’m a member of HerCampus @ KSU! I love all things beauty, pop culture, pageants, and broadcasting. When I graduate, I plan on working for a broadcasting network as an investigative reporter. I hope you follow Her Campus At KSU so you never miss our articles! ?
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!