kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Oh How Nice It Would Be If Feminine Products Were Free

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

I recently saw an Instagram post by @attndotcom about a woman who is fighting to put free feminine care products in women’s bathrooms across the nation. Women will always pay for period products every month — us as women go through so much that we cannot control; such as having periods!!! Instead of being able to receive free products, we must pay for everything plus extra taxing on the items. Reading the article got me thinking about how much women have to pay for feminine products throughout our lifetime.  

Huff Post stated that:    

1 tampon every 6 hours = 4 tampons per day x 5 days of a period = 20 tampons per cycle x 456 periods = 9,120 tampons. At 36 tampons per box, that’s 253.3 boxes x $7 = $1,773.33.    

5 liners per cycle x 456 periods = 2,280 pads. At 36 pads per box, that’s 63.3 boxes x $7 = $443.33

I have personally spent more than $50 a month on feminine products such as pads/tampons, medication, and hygiene products during that time of the month. There have been plenty of days that I’d have to stop and buy products, knowing I already had a full stock at home, because I unexpectantly started my period while I was out. The convenience of stopping in a public restroom and having free pads or tampons available would be a sigh of relief for all women! I thought the author had some valid points that needed to be heard and said. I’m pretty sure that all women have been through this and would love to be able to have such a luxury from time to time.

Bring on the free tampons and pads!
Myesha Mays

Kennesaw '21

I'm a KSU senior majoring in psychology
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!