Starbucks
Starbucks
Hunter Honeg / Spoon

Off-Menu Starbucks Drinks Worth Trying For Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

When I’m not in class or doing coursework for an online class I’m most likely behind an espresso bar. One of the perks about being a Starbucks barista is trying quirky drinks customers order or creating my own concoctions. In celebration of my time with Starbucks, I’ve curated a list of my favorite custom beverages.

Black tea with a splash of strawberry acai base

This beverage is a refreshing treat as we head into warmer weather this spring. The bold flavor from the black tea pairs well with the sweet strawberry flavor of the strawberry acai.

If you’re wanting to make it less sweet or light on sugar, ask for a light splash of the base. To make the drink sweeter, as the barista for no water and add strawberry acai base (if it’s a licensed location ask simply for extra strawberry acai base).

Iced Blonde Doppio Espresso with brown sugar syrup and oat milk

The light notes of blonde espresso paired with brown sugar and oat milk is like sipping on a savory and sweet snack. An iced doppio espresso usually comes in a tall cup, but I usually ask for a grande with extra ice and an extra splash of oatmilk. The blonde espresso is a lighter roast resulting in a smoother, less acidic taste. The standard pump for the brown sugar syrup is usually half pumps, I like things not too-sweet so I recommend two to three pumps for a tall or grande iced espresso.

To make the drink sweeter, add more pumps of brown sugar or ask for caramel drizzle as well.

(Unfornately most licensed stores currently do not serve blonde espresso).

Strawberries and Creme Frappuccino with scoops of matcha

This drink is easy to order and offers a bit caffeine in a usually caffiene-free drink, but might it not be for everyone. I personally love green tea and matcha, as well as I love creme-based frappucinos. Sometimes when I’m craving a creme-based frappucino, and I want an extra kick that isn’t coffee base this is my go-to sweet treat drink. For a grande, I’ll add two to scoops of matcha.

If matcha makes things a little too bitter, try adding a pump or two of liquid cane sugar or classic syrup. This beverage is geared towards tea lovers.

Iced White Mocha with Vanilla Sweet Cold Foam and Caramel Drizzle

This drink isn’t my favorite, but it is one of the most popular custom drinks I’ve seen come across my bar. This beverage is for those who have a sweet tooth or don’t like the taste of coffee but want the benefit off caffeine. The drink white mocha is a sauce that is rich in flavor and the drink usually comes with whip. Most baristas will understand not to add whip, others might ask.

Most days I’ll drink just a simple iced blonde doppio espresso with a splash of oatmilk, or a hot almond milk latte with blonde espresso. There’s nothing wrong with a good black coffee either. I hope this list inspires someone to grab a cup of coffee today.

Melissa Walsh

Kennesaw '22

Melissa is a Senior at Kennesaw studying both Journalism and Political Science. Her interests include politics, environmental issues, and human rights. In addition to being a writer for the Kennesaw Chapter, Melissa also serves as senior editor.