This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

In honor of Black History Month, I took it upon myself to create a playlist honoring 29 Black artists that inspire me and produce music that shows the diversity and versatility that Black people in music have. Here are a few highlights:

Solange

Southern born and bred, Solange is one of the most prominent Black artists in this new age of music. Her genre-blending sound and creative visuals with her poignant messages in her music give Solange a platform to cause a shift in Black culture. The song chosen for this playlist is “Binz” from her fourth studio album, “When I Get Home.” The production is simplistic, and the lyrics describe a carefree yet lavish lifestyle (“I just wanna wake up on the suns in Saint Laurent/ Hundred thousand dollars on the fronts, hella blunts”) in which anyone would aspire to in this mess we call life.

Luke James

You may have seen him as Johnny Gill in “The New Edition” limited series or as Noah Brooks in the hit TV series “Star,” but Luke James is much more than a face. His latest album, “to be love/d,” features the soulful groove “all of your love,” reminiscent of Boosty Collins and Marvin Gaye, the latter artist being one of James’ most prominent musical influences.

VanJess

This dynamic R&B duo of sisters Ivana and Jessica Nwokike have what it takes to bring an old school vibe to this current generation, never lacking in the vocals, especially apparent on their debut album “Silk Sheets.” The two team up with Canadian producer KAYTRANADA, another amazing Black artist, on the single “Dysfunctional.”

Anderson. Paak

Multitalented artist Anderson .Paak collaborates with the iconic Lalah Hathaway, daughter of the legendary Donny Hathaway, on “Reachin’ 2 Much” from his Grammy award-winning album, “Ventura.” This infectious groove is sure to please. (Fun fact: So far, his albums are all named after cities in California, his home state. His previous album, “Oxnard,” is the name of the city where he was born.)

Alex Isley

The daughter of Isley Brothers member Ernest Isley, music is definitely in this talented woman’s blood. From releasing various projects as an independent artist to her latest single, “Gone,” Isley’s warm tone and well-written lyrics rarely ever miss. On her latest project, she works along with producer Jack Dine on the EP “Wilton”.

Check out the full playlist on Spotify for more talented artists, and always strive to listen to and uplift Black creatives. They are needed now more than ever.  

Amariyah Callender is a 20-year-old journalist from Decatur, Georgia. She is currently studying Journalism and Emerging Media at Kennesaw State University. She has been in the journalism field for the past seven years, writing for local media platforms such as VOX ATL and Lotus Rosery. With a passion for music and lifestyle, Callender doesn't shy away from media buzz, the next big artist, or what's going on in the music scene in the Metro-Atlanta area. She also enjoys writing about her own personal experiences and how they have shaped her life as it is today. Read her latest article here!
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!