This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

The anticipated Met Gala has returned after a one year hiatus due to the high rise in coronavirus concerns in 2020. The benefit event for the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute has been named one of the biggest nights of fashion. It allows for celebrities invited by none other than Vogue phenomenon Anna Wintour herself to show off their designer attire that fits the yearly theme.

This year’s theme was titled “American Independence” and as the concept of this theme appeared to many people, so did the looks that we saw that night.

As somebody who watched the entire three hour special on E! Network and all the livestreams on Twitter, I can attest that I saw almost every look that was on the carpet that night. Here are my top 10 favorite looks of the extravagant night with a few honorable mentions.

Iman

Iman’s Met Gala Look via Vogue

This was probably one of the boldest looks of the night. The veteran supermodel took the attention from many in this collaboration design from Dolce and Gabbana X British designer Harris Reed. I was blown away by the creativity and design of this look.

yara shahidi

Yara’s Met Gala Look

I’m going to be honest I spent the majority of my night going back and looking at this look. This was a beautiful design by Dior and an amazing way to pay homage to the wonderful Josephine Baker.

Billie Eillish

Billie’s Met Gala Look

I don’t think anything is more American than the classic old Hollywood look that Billie showed off at the gala. She is wearing a beautiful piece by Oscar de la Renta that radiates a classic Marilyn Monroe look. I’m in love with this look.

lil nas x

Lil Nas X’s Met Gala Look 1

Lil Nas X’s Met Gala Look 2

Lil Nas X’s Met Gala Look 3

Ever since Lady Gaga’s iconic outfit changes at the 2019 Met Gala, I have been waiting on another shocking change at the Met. Luckily I wasn’t let down. Lil Nas X came prepared with three outfit changes all under the design of Versace!! He first showed up with a beautiful gold cape. Shedding that off revealed more gold but in the form of armor and under that was a skin tight black and gold bodysuit. He couldn’t have fit a better look that fits his daring personality.

Gigi hadid

Gigi’s Met Gala Look

Miss Hadid or Miss Jessica Rabbit with that stunning red hair, understood the assignment with the red, white, and blue that she gave us with her look. I love how simple yet extravagant her came out to be. Her and her team perfectly meshed this Prada dress together with the hair and makeup.

Barbie Ferreira

Barbie’s Met Gala Look via Vogue

Pearls are a classic staple in American fashion and Euphoria star, Barbie Ferreira 100% represented that at the Met in this Jonathan Simkhai dress. The dress is embroidered in pearls in Swarovski crystals all over. I did not expect for a look like this to grace the Met carpet but nonetheless I loved how unique this was.

halle bailey

Halle’s Met Gala Look

Our new Princess Ariel came with the legs out in this charming pink attire by Rodarte. She really gives me the 20s flapper dress vibes with this bodysuit. Her look was said to reference the American icon Tina Turner.

Lupita nyong’o

Lupita’s Met Gala Look

What is more American than a denim piece of fashion. Lupita and Versace knew what they were doing when they agreed on this dress. This gives me Britney and Justin 2001 VMA vibes and I love that. My favorite part of this dress was the train. I liked that it was at the bottom and not attached to her face. I like how the dress and her hair compliment each other. This entire look was out of amazingly different.

normani

Normani’s Met Gala Look

Not only did she just kill her performance at the 2021 MTV VMA’s but she also killed this look. Normani shined bright in this gold taffeta dress by Valentino. This color on her beautiful melanin skin is a match made in heaven. I like how they tied this lavish look together with a diamond and sapphire necklace.

Zoey Deutch

Zoey’s Met Gala Look

Zoey was representing Versace at the Met in a purple gown that was said to be inspired by the 70s disco era in American culture. I love how the entire dress is covered in Swarovski crystals.

Ambria Burton

Kennesaw '22

Ambria is a senior at Kennesaw State University where she studies journalism and political science. She enjoys listening to music, spending too much time on Pinterest, and learning about entertaining things within the world. She hopes to write in political and local reporting once she graduates.