This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

Since last year, I’ve been really into projects that involve using my hands. It’s something about crafting something from your own hands and the way you’re able to slowly build that skill the more you do it that makes me really excited. So, I want to share with you guys my three personal favorite handmade DIY’s (Do it yourself) projects. Maybe it could inspire all of you out there.

1. Tie-Dye

Tie-Dye is one of my absolute favorite projects to do. It can be tedious at times, but it becomes worth it when you see the results in the end. When I first got into tie-dying, my family and I brought some white t-shirts and dye from Hobby Lobby and made family shirts together (which turned out really cute) and my friends and I made our own hoodies with our favorite colors. You can do all sorts of patterns, colors, and effects like shibori, crumple, spiral, swirl, and even use bleach to make a really cool reverse tie-dye effect. and use many different colors at once. Overall, Tie-dye is a really fun and rewarding process to do. Each shirt that you make would be unique.

2. Embroidery

Embroidery is another skill I picked up on recently. It’s a little more difficult than tie-dye but it’s worth it none then less. I often use my tie-dye shirts to embroider on to give them a little extra detail to make them stand out a bit more. Usually, I would look on Pinterest for inspiration and try to come up with my own design to put on a shirt or a hoodie. It’s fun to weave in the design and see the final product come out.

3. Clay

Lastly is making clay items! Believe it or not but there are tons of things you can make with clay. Like a lot. Many people use it as a cheaper alternative to décor since décor these days can be pretty high. Or if you became a plant mom (like me) you would make a clay pot for your lovely plants. Jewelry is another popular way of using clay. Another cool feature about clay is that once its dries, paint can be applied to it to give the clay some color. So, you can really get creative with it.

Here are the three DIY projects that I’ve gotten into over the past year! Hopefully, this inspires you to make your own tie-dye, embroidery, and clay art.

Gahnique Bell

Kennesaw '25

Hey guys! My name is Gahnique Bell and I am an English Major and a Film Studies Minor here at Kennesaw State University! I'm essentially a huge nerd who loves to read, write, draw, play video games, and watch tv shows/movies! I also love to explore different places, learn about new things, and enjoy the company of my friends and family!