Life > Academics

Motivation for Seniors: Looking Forward to the Finish Line

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

If you’re graduating this fall, next spring, next summer, or sometime in the near future, you’re definitely looking forward to finally walking down the aisle in your cap and gown, reveling in your accomplishments over the past 4+ years. I, for one, am absolutely ready to get my degree next May. However, graduation day can seem so far away as we approach the end of the semester. Our assignments, jobs, and other responsibilities can feel like they’re piling up and closing us in. This can then lead to a lack of motivation in different areas of our lives. As we approach the end of the semester, it can be hard to find that motivation. Here are a few ways that I try to find motivation in the last stretches of my undergraduate experience that I hope can help you.

There is a bigger picture/purpose.

Whenever I did my assignments this semester, I always thought if those same assignments would benefit me in the long run. I was so focused on the smaller picture that I lost sight of my end goal.

One way to gain back motivation is to focus on the bigger picture. When there is no goal in sight, it can be easy to lose energy. So set a goal and make it your bigger picture, your main thing to look forward to in the next few months. That bigger picture can be graduating with honors, being a first-generation graduate, or graduating with a new beginning (being free from substance abuse, self-harm, or overcoming depression).

When you have that bigger picture, completing your assignments and responsibilities can become a bit easier.

Take care of your mental health.

During these times, it’s especially important to take care of your mental health as a senior. We face so much pressure and anxiety as we head into the workplace. Especially as we head into our final months of school, we can easily get stressed out with all the things we have to do. If you refuse to take care of your mental health, it can cause you to become greatly unmotivated and even cause worse symptoms later on down the road.

Speaking from experience, if you don’t feel all that great to accomplish some tasks, then don’t force yourself to do them. Taking breaks is critical to academic success. No one can constantly study all the time. If you find yourself feeling this way, do something that relaxes you (watching a new TV series or film, listening to music, writing, or having a self-care day). When you feel ready and up to it (whether that be a few hours or two days after), then complete the things you have to do. You’ll notice that your motivation has increased because you aren’t as stressed, and you have a different mindset.

envision yourself and affirm.

My last tip is to envision and affirm yourself. When I say “envision,” I mean picture yourself walking across the stage, shaking hands, and finally receiving your diploma. If you can picture yourself doing it, then you CAN do it in real life!

If you recite positive affirmations, it can also be a good idea to introduce affirmations about graduating or school. Some affirmations for students are: “It’s healthy to take breaks once in a while,” “I am making the best of my college experience,” and “I release all self-criticism and self-attack.” It can even be helpful to create your own affirmations, based on what you want to focus on.

If you can picture and affirm to yourself that you can make it, you are well on your way to succeeding!

I hope these tips helped you in gathering new ways to gain motivation if you’re in your senior year! Good luck!

Hi friends! My name is Kenadee Knight and I am a 21-year-old senior English major, Dance minor at Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, Georgia! I am originally from Decatur, GA. When I'm not doing schoolwork or writing for HerCampus, I enjoy dancing, listening to music, writing, and bullet journaling. I hope you enjoy reading my articles here at HerCampus!