This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

Spooky season is here, and Halloween is quickly approaching! If you’re looking to get into the Halloween spirit or searching for songs to add to your “spooky szn” playlist: here are five songs from my music library that I want to share that I think are perfect for the season!

Billie Eilish – Bury A Friend

I’m starting my mini-playlist with my girl, Billie Eilish, and her song “Bury A Friend,” from her Grammy-award-winning debut album “WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?” This song screams spooky for me – whenever I listen to this song, I imagine a group of friends in a movie walking through an abandoned graveyard, while unknown to them – skeletons, spirits, and any other monster related to Halloween are watching and then attack them. Some of them escape – but others are buried by the monsters. I love the dark vibes this song brings out, and it’s a fantastic addition to any spooky playlist!

Red Velvet – Irene & Seulgi – Monster

I love listening to music in other languages, and one genre I love the most is K-Pop! Red Velvet is one of my all-time favorite girl groups, and this year, the group debuted its first subunit, which consists of the group’s leader (Irene) and lead dancer (Seulgi). The song talks about becoming a monster and falling in love with someone – becoming infatuated with them. “I’m a little monster, be scared of me. I’m bothering you, making you dream only about me,” are the first two lines of the chorus translated in English. The beat of the song even reminds me of walking through a haunted castle. If you’re looking for a different taste to your playlist – I definitely recommend this song!

Rihanna – Disturbia

or my third song on my playlist, I’m throwing it back to 2008 when “Disturbia” played on radio stations across the country. Rihanna is one of my favorite artists and role models. One of her lead singles from “Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded” boldly says at night in Gotham, Halloweentown, or any town you can imagine infested with zombies, vampires, and the like. “Disturbia” is another perfect addition to your playlist, especially if you’re a fan of throwback songs!

Red Velvet – Peek-a-Boo

“Peek-a-Boo” is the 2017 lead single from Red Velvet’s second studio album “Perfect Velvet.” While the song’s lyrics speak of playful love, comparing it to playing games on a playground – but the music video emphasizes the dark twist behind the song. In the music video, the Red Velvet members invite a pizza delivery guy inside their house. He expects everything to be normal – but things quickly go south as he discovers secrets about the house AND the girls. I don’t want to spoil too much – so check out the music video for yourself! “Peek-a-Boo” is the sweet-but-psycho song for any Halloween playlist.

Michael Jackson – Thriller 

Of course, I have to close out this mini-playlist with THE spooky song of all spooky songs! The King of Pop gave us a timeless song that will continue to leave a legacy for the future. The door opening at the beginning of the song, description of the monsters, the feeling of being trapped, and the famous narration at the end – the song takes you into Michael Jackson’s world of Halloween – a fun, funky, and frightening experience. The music video takes that imagination, adds more plot, and visualizes it, making it even more enjoyable for the spooky season! Take a trip down memory lane by adding this to your playlist too!

I hope you enjoyed these songs, and maybe you’ll even add these to your own playlist! Happy spooky season my friends!

Hi friends! My name is Kenadee Knight and I am a 21-year-old senior English major, Dance minor at Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, Georgia! I am originally from Decatur, GA. When I'm not doing schoolwork or writing for HerCampus, I enjoy dancing, listening to music, writing, and bullet journaling. I hope you enjoy reading my articles here at HerCampus!
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!