Maggie Rogers’ Anticipated Return and Her Surrender to Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

It’s been three years since Maggie Rogers has released new music, sort of. In 2020, she released Notes from the Archive: Recordings 2011-2016, which was a compilation of previous songs she has recorded but never released. On April 8, Rogers released her first single “That’s Where I am” from her upcoming sophomore album Surrender, which arrives July 29.

The song tells a tale of a friendship turned into romance and is paired with an upbeat rhythm. When I first heard the song it reminded me a lot of early 2000s rom-com movies like What A Girl Wants or Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen. Coincidentally, Rogers posted on her Facebook page that she was inspired to write the song after watching 10 Things I Hate About You.

“[I] thought it would be fun to make something that sounded like it could run the in the end credits of a romcom.” Rogers wrote, “those songs always seemed so sure of themselves. joyful. everything tied up with a bow. a happy ending, that’s what I was craving.”

In the chorus she sings, “It all works out in the end/Wherever you go/That’s where I am/Boulders turn into sand/Wherever you go/That’s where I am.” A nod to the title of her upcoming album.

Melissa Walsh

Kennesaw '22

Melissa is a Senior at Kennesaw studying both Journalism and Political Science. Her interests include politics, environmental issues, and human rights. In addition to being a writer for the Kennesaw Chapter, Melissa also serves as senior editor.