This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

Through the 18 years of my natural-born life thus far, my hair journey has been a rollercoaster of events. From relaxed pixie cuts and blown-out Afros to box braids and faux locs, I have always been unafraid to switch up my look. After a long-standing battle with the “creamy crack” that is chemical relaxers, I chose to go fully natural in the tenth grade, where I did the big chop. Many of my friends were supportive of my choice to go natural, saying the short style suited me. After that, I let it grow out for the rest of my high school days, with the help of wearing protective styles, until the end of my first semester of senior year. I chose to revisit my short hair and cut it off again before New Year’s (which was actually unintentional.) Nevertheless, I was content with yet another short ‘do.

Months went by and my hair got shorter and shorter, which annoyed my parents a bit, but I was content with my look nonetheless. This sparked a newfound love for wearing wigs. I had worn wigs before, but now with a shaved head, the possibilities were endless! Gone were the days of braiding down my head in hopes that a wig would lay properly. I had now cut my getting ready routine in half! Going into my first semester of college, I switched between my short style and long tresses. As the weather got cooler, I decided it was time for yet another change. With the help of a friend, I dyed my hair a bold red. It was very new to me seeing my hair in a different color, but I grew to love it. It solidified my independence as a college woman and overall made me feel like more of an adult.

Many people are under the impression that if a girl has short hair, her hair is not important to her, which is untrue. Being a bald baddie comes with a lot of responsibility and bravery, which is why so many women come together in support, whether your hair is short by choice or by circumstance. Online communities such as @thecutlife and @thebaldierevolution spotlight beautiful haircuts and the stories behind them. 

Though the cut life is fun, I have learned time and time again that with short hair comes great responsibility. Sure, you can spend less time on wash days, and barbershop cuts generally cost far less than a salon press, but short hair can be a hassle. When you want to grow it out, it takes eons, and one bad cut can have you going from a badass femme fatale to looking like an 8 ball!  

I am currently at a crossroads with my hair journey. During Thanksgiving break, I decided to cut my hair shorter and dye my hair more of a ginger color, which I honestly regret a little bit. This part of my hair journey taught me a lesson about doing things impulsively, but at the end of the day, hair is just hair. More importantly, hair, this hair is MY hair, and I have full autonomy to wear it how I choose.

Amariyah Callender is a 20-year-old journalist from Decatur, Georgia. She is currently studying Journalism and Emerging Media at Kennesaw State University. She has been in the journalism field for the past seven years, writing for local media platforms such as VOX ATL and Lotus Rosery. With a passion for music and lifestyle, Callender doesn't shy away from media buzz, the next big artist, or what's going on in the music scene in the Metro-Atlanta area. She also enjoys writing about her own personal experiences and how they have shaped her life as it is today. Read her latest article here!
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!