Original photo of Amariyah Callender wearing different outfits.
Original photo by Amariyah Callender

How Documenting My Outfits Fixed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

At the beginning of this semester, I took photos of what I wore for class each day. What I didn’t know is that it would change my life.

I’ve always had an interest in fashion, whether keeping up with new trends or setting my own. However, my experiences and access to certain styles hindered my choices, as well as those around me advising me on what I should and shouldn’t wear. I found personal style as a way to express myself, even in spaces where it was frowned upon. As I got older, I learned more about what fashion pieces suited me, and fell in love with items of clothing I wouldn’t dare wear before. Now as an adult in college, I have the full capacity of wearing what I choose and loving it.

Starting at the beginning of the fall semester, I took photos with a date and timestamp filter as a way to document what I wore. This ended up becoming a fun routine of sorts, which has impacted other parts of my life. Now, I don’t go a day without making my bed, doing my hygiene and skincare routine, and getting out of the house. Sure, these all sound like things that people should be doing regardless, but sometimes it’s hard to get out of bed on some days. Having the extra motivation of looking good when you leave the house (or stay in it) is extremely rewarding. 

This routine has also made me more social, both on and offline. The compliments from friends and strangers let me know that I’m doing something right, and even those who find my outfit choices questionable are fine by me, too. I take it all in stride, knowing that it’s my confidence that can leave an impact on people.

The best part about all of this is that I am able to dress to impress absolutely no one but myself. This has become an act of self-care, self-love, and resistance to the idea that I can only look one specific way. I have the choice to put a nice outfit together each day, even if I’m not even leaving the house. What I put on my body is my choice, and I choose to be whatever I desire. 

Amariyah Callender is a 20-year-old journalist from Decatur, Georgia. She is currently studying Journalism and Emerging Media at Kennesaw State University. She has been in the journalism field for the past seven years, writing for local media platforms such as VOX ATL and Lotus Rosery. With a passion for music and lifestyle, Callender doesn't shy away from media buzz, the next big artist, or what's going on in the music scene in the Metro-Atlanta area. She also enjoys writing about her own personal experiences and how they have shaped her life as it is today. Read her latest article here!