This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

Following my last article on Georgia’s voter suppression, I wanted to offer a guide and list of resources on who can vote, registering to vote, the ways you can vote, and where to go to vote. Our voices matter, and we must exercise our right to make our voices heard!

Who Can Register To Vote

In the state of Georgia to vote, you must be a U.S citizen, reside in a county in Georgia, you can register at 17 1/2 but must be 18 at the time to vote, not be serving a felony conviction (this includes probationary periods), and not have been found mentally incompetent by a judge. For this upcoming election, the deadline to register to vote is Monday, October 5, 2020. Click here to register today!

Vote By Mail

With Covid-19 rampant in Georgia, Absentee ballots have become the talk of the town. Georgia has offered absentee ballots for years and has been a popular form of voting. If you’re looking to avoid lines or people in general, this may be the option for you. You must request an Absentee Ballot by Friday, October 30, 2020, and the deadline to return a completed Absentee Ballot is Tuesday, November 3, 2020.  If you request a ballot and are skeptical of mailing it back in, you can take your completed and sealed ballot to your polling precinct on election day and drop it off there. Click here to request an Absentee Ballot for Georgia.

Early Voting

If you were looking to beat the crowds on election day, Georgia offers early voting starting the 4th Monday before election day and ends the Friday before election day. All that you are required to bring is proper Identification. Click here to see where you can early vote based on your county.

Voting On Election Day

Election day is Tuesday, November 3, 2020. By law, your employer shall allow you two hours to vote, so be sure to exercise your right on voting day if you decide against absentee ballots and early voting. Click here to see where to vote and voting hours. 

Ways To Get Involved 

After reading about Georgia’s voting suppression, if you feel like voting just isn’t enough, there are other ways to ensure a fair election. You can volunteer to become a Poll Worker, some positions are paid, or encourage your friends to vote. Offer to carpool to the polls, with covid-safety in mind. 

Don’t forget, voting allows the opportunity for our voices to be heard, get out there and vote! 

Melissa Walsh

Kennesaw '22

Melissa is a Senior at Kennesaw studying both Journalism and Political Science. Her interests include politics, environmental issues, and human rights. In addition to being a writer for the Kennesaw Chapter, Melissa also serves as senior editor.
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!