Feeling Lucky? The Most Popular St. Patrick’s Day Celebrations in the U.S.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

Cities and towns across the United States turning green on March 17! Whether you’re Irish or a leprechaun wanna-be, everyone loves a good St. Patrick’s Day celebration. The United States has celebrated St. Patrick’s Day well before it’s independence from Great Britain. The first St. Patrick’s Day parade in North America was held in Boston in 1737 followed by New York City in 1756. While St. Patrick’s Day originated in Ireland, The US, with its large Irish ancestry, now has parties, parades and events all throughout the country. Are you planning to “Go Green”? Check out these high demand celebrations!

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS

When a city colors a river green, you know it takes its Irish heritage seriously. That type of dedication and enthusiasm can be found in Chicago. The celebration is always held on a Saturday. Once the Chicago River bleeds green, the festivities continue with a parade featuring bagpipers, Irish dancers, and Clydesdale horses. The musical celebration is followed by enormous, raucous street parties in the Grant Park and Division Street areas. Popular Irish pub Galway Arms also serves traditional Irish food and drinks as it hosts live Irish music performances.

SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA

The San Francisco St. Patrick’s Day Festival and Parade, which takes place the weekend before the holiday, attracts over 100,000 visitors each year. The two-hour procession contains floats, Irish dancing organizations, bagpipers, and other performers.  Old-fashioned fire trucks may also be seen turned into the Blarney Fire Department. There is an abundance of live music and Irish delicacies during the festival, as well as the obligatory plentiful supply of alcohol. If you still have energy, attend the St. Patrick’s Day PubCrawl, which has drink specials at establishments along Union Street and in the Marina. The Irish Bank also hosts a block party for eager street-goers who don’t want the night to end so soon.

SAVANNAH, GEORGIA

Since 1824, Savannah, Georgia, has celebrated St. Patrick’s Day with weeks of events culminating in a parade on March 17. As the city’s Forsyth Park fountain flows green, hundreds of thousands of people assemble in the town’s grassy squares, setting up tables and chairs. The festivities in Savannah’s many Irish bars continues after the procession until the early hours of the morning. Bonus: check out Kevin Barry’s for live Irish music and Guinness-braised brisket.

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK

For St. Patrick’s Day, New York City has put on its greenest face since 1762. The city’s annual holiday parade is the world’s largest, with 150,000 participants and an estimated 2 million spectators lining Fifth Avenue.Bagpipers, Irish step dancers, police officers and firefighters, school bands, and other performers take part in the procession, which is organized entirely by volunteers. After the parade, visit one of the many Irish bars in New York City. McSorley’s Old Ale House is a must-visit Irish pub as it is the city’s oldest, and it’s known for two types of beer: light and dark house ale.

BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS

The St. Patrick’s Day celebrations in Boston are legendary. Nearly a quarter of Boston people claim Irish ancestry, hence the city’s Irish pride is strong. Irish band performances, an Irish film festival, and celebrations at Irish bars and local brewers, such as the Harpoon St. Patrick’s Festival, often begin weeks before the formal holiday. Because of the large crowds, the St. Patrick’s Day parade takes place in South Boston on a weekend. Floats, marching bands, and bagpipe bands from Ireland and the United States attract up to a million spectators along the route. You might even come across Elvis Presley impersonators from Ireland. Be sure to visit the popular Irish pub Black Rose. The walls are covered in Irish flags, and you’re sure to come across a loud sing-along with the locals.

Angela Hyman

Kennesaw '23

Greetings beauties! My name is Angela and I'm a senior at Kennesaw State University double majoring in Nursing and Integrated Health Science. I strive to help others because I have been blessed to have overwhelming guidance and support myself. I love all aspects of beauty from makeup to encouraging women to radiate their inner beauty through confidence, achievement, leadership, and service. I joined Her Campus at KSU not only for the sisterhood aspect, but also in hopes that my writing will shine a positive light in the lives of others in some way. We have so many great things to share with you! Follow our team so you'll never miss our articles!! ❤️