alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Don’t Worry About Being Single During the Holidays: Self Love Is Year Round

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

Being single during the holidays can be the real spooky season for some. The long months of October, November, and December are all filled with various friends and family gatherings that may have you realizing that maybe the presence of a significant other would be a plus. When your cousins or grandparents ask why you don’t have a boyfriend, it may cause you to ask yourself the same question. But, fear not, being single during the holidays is more than okay, and you will get through it.

In October, you may not have someone to joint costume with as a cute couple, BUT it is likely that you still have loving and caring friends that you can go all out on costumes with. A plus to being single during Halloween is that you don’t have to wonder if anyone will get you a spooky basket, you can go ahead and make your own! It’s guaranteed to have everything you want in it. Focus more on making memories with friends at pumpkin patches, scary houses, etc. during this season.

November comes right after; most start thinking of their holiday gifts. Who am I getting gifts from? Who am I giving gifts to? Well, you can go ahead and think of being single as one less person added to your list. This means one extra gift for another loved one and maybe an opportunity to splurge on yourself during Black Friday. Although this is the time to start thinking about your holiday gifts, let’s not forget the plethora of family dinners that happen during both the months of November as well as December. On some occasions, you’re sitting at the table, and a loved one asks, “Are there any men I need to see about” or simply “Are you seeing anyone?”, you answer no. They don’t believe you, so you must reiterate one more time, “no.” This can be annoying because you may feel as though you have to come up with some excuse that does not entirely correlate to why you are single, such as “I’m just focusing on myself right now” or “I’m just not interested right now.” Although these reasons may be valid for some, you shouldn’t feel obligated to provide a reason to someone else that justifies why you are single.

You may wish you were cuddling some nights; you may want that kiss under the mistletoe or when the ball drops during the celebration of the new year, but these things don’t make your holiday all that it could be. Think of all the love you can give out and into yourself and feel how warm that feeling is. Bundle up with some blankets, drink warm, sweet drinks, spend time with loved ones, and remember to treat yourself this holiday season and, most importantly, don’t forget that self-love lasts all year.

Jasmine Holland

Kennesaw '22

I am a junior marketing major at Kennesaw State University from Augusta, Georgia #706 :) I love to write about topics relating to my own experiences, fitness, veganism, and anything that could make someone happy and/or motivate and inspire them. //ig:@plantingjasmines //ig: @jasminexmonique