This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

What is a love language? Your love language is how you receive love from others. Love languages are not just for those in romantic relationships. Love languages are present in your friendships and familial relationships as well. Knowing your loved ones love language can help you love them better and help the two of you develop a better relationship or friendship. There are five different love languages: words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts, quality time, and physical touch. Most people’s love languages are comprised of a percentage of each one.

Words of Affirmation

Words of affirmation are words that compliment, uplift, or reassure your partner or friend. These affirmations can be simple phrases such as:

“You mean a lot to me.”

“You look beautiful!”

“I’m proud of you.”

“I care about you a lot.”

If your partner or friend has this love language, phrases like these will mean a lot to them.

Acts of Service

Those with the acts of service love language value when other people do practical things for them like cooking a meal, doing their laundry, helping them with work, or anything else that would relieve them of any stress. If you are doing an act of service for your friend or partner with this love language, it should be done in good spirit with their happiness in mind in order to fully be received as an act of love.

Receiving Gifts

Who doesn’t love gifts? Those with this love language appreciate when their partner or friend by them gifts (big or small) just because. When you buy a gift for someone with this love language, thought and effort is what matters to them. An individual with this love language will feel the utmost love if you buy them a gift because you were thinking about them.

Quality Time

If you know someone with this love language, chances are you spend time with them often. People with this love language value uninterrupted quality time with those that they love. They especially appreciate when their loved ones take out time in their schedule just to be with them. Quality time makes them feel appreciated, loved, and shows them that you value the relationship.

Physical Touch

For those with the physical touch love language, affection is the best way to show them your love. If your partner has this love language, they will feel more connected and safe with you through some form of physical touch such as a hug, kiss, or holding hands. If this is their primary love language, physical touch is essential to loving them in a way that meets their needs.

Love languages are a beautiful thing that can help us love others better and in a way that is fulfilling for them. Knowing your own love language can help you communicate your needs better and understand what you want in a partner or friend. Click the link at the top of the article to find out what your love language is!

Hi! I’m Taylor. I’m a Journalism & Emerging Media Major at Kennesaw State University and I’m a member of HerCampus @ KSU! I love all things beauty, pop culture, pageants, and broadcasting. When I graduate, I plan on working for a broadcasting network as an investigative reporter. I hope you follow Her Campus At KSU so you never miss our articles! ?