Could LSU’s History-Making Championship Basketball Game Have an Impact on the WNBA? 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

In light of Louisiana State University’s history-making basketball game, we are noticing more recognition in the field of women’s sports, specifically basketball. LSU’s championship game has broken the record for the highest views and points in women’s collegiate basketball history. It was also the first and only time in LSU’s women’s basketball history a championship was won. Women basketball players work extremely hard to earn their respect as players and have to work twice as hard to earn pay within 6 figures; while their male NBA counterparts make 7-8 figures. Many elite female-collegiate basketball players are choosing not to enlist in the WNBA although they carry passion, skill, and love for the sport. Collegiate players are turned off by the lower salaries in the WNBA and have the ability to make more money off of their name, brand, image, and likeness alone.

New opportunities for an increase in WNBA salaries

Women in the WNBA should be compensated more fairly with an increase in salary for several reasons. Women in the WNBA work just as hard as their male counterparts and put in the same amount of effort, dedication, and commitment to the sport. Women basketball players train and compete at the same level as men, with the same physical demands and expectations. Therefore, it is only right that they receive equal pay for equal work.

Secondly, increasing the salaries of female basketball players in the WNBA would not only be a step towards achieving gender equality in sports, but would also have positive consequences for society as a whole. By acknowledging and rewarding the talent and hard work of female athletes, it sends a powerful message to young girls that they too can aspire to be professional athletes and achieve success in their chosen fields. This could lead to an increase in female participation in sports, which has numerous benefits for physical and mental health.

Moreover, an increase in salaries for female basketball players in the WNBA would also be beneficial for the league itself. It could attract more talented players to the league, thereby improving the quality of the game and increasing viewership. More fans would be interested in watching the games and attending live events, leading to increased revenue for the league and its teams. This, in turn, would allow the teams to invest in better facilities, training, and resources for their players, further improving the quality of the league.

On the other hand, if women’s salaries are not increased to at least 50 percent of their male counterparts, there could be several negative consequences. Firstly, it could discourage talented female athletes from pursuing a career in basketball, leading to a decline in the quality of the game and a loss of potential revenue for the league. Secondly, it could reinforce the idea that women’s sports are inferior to men’s sports, perpetuating gender inequality and discrimination in sports. Finally, it could lead to a loss of fans and viewership, as people may become disenchanted with a league that does not value its players equally.

The recent record-breaking championship game for LSU women’s basketball is a positive step towards progress in this area. The game’s high viewership and the attention it received highlight the potential for women’s basketball to draw in large audiences and generate significant revenue. If the WNBA were to increase the salaries of its players, it could tap into this potential and take advantage of the growing interest in women’s sports.

Women in the WNBA deserve an increase in salary to reflect their hard work, dedication, and talent. It would not only be a step towards achieving equality in sports, but also to having positive consequences for society, the league, and the players themselves. The recent success of LSU women’s basketball illustrates the potential for women’s sports to attract large audiences and generate significant revenue, making it an opportune time to take this step toward progress.

Deja Craft

Kennesaw '25

Deja is a book worm and writing-loving southern girl! Originally from New Orleans, she loves the written word and wholeheartedly believes in the “power of the pen”. She is a computer science major with a minor in Business Law! She spends much of her time reading, learning programming languages, and freelance writing. She also enjoys poetry, sewing, and of course writing!