Classic Halloween episodes and movies from our childhood and where to watch them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

We are officially in Spooky Month AKA October! That means the temperature is dropping, the leaves are about to start failing and layers are going to be a staple.

October also means that it’s time to start binging your favorite scary movies and tv shows.

I will say that growing up we had the pleasure of being able to watch some of the best Halloween specials on TV. Now that streaming platforms are at a time high we are able to go back in time to watch them as grown-ups.

Here are some television episodes and movies from our childhood that you can watch throughout October:

That’s so raven
Season 2 Episode 2 “Don’t have a cow”
Thats So Raven What GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
THAT’S SO RAVEN ON DISNEY via GIPHY

This episode is probably one of the most iconic Halloween episodes to premiere on Disney Channel. Raven and Chelsea progressively turn into cows throughout the episode had me dying in laughter as a kid.

You can watch this episode on Disney+.

The suite life of zack & Cody
Season 1 Episode 19 “The ghost of suite 613”
Zack GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
SUITE LIFE O ZACK AND CODY ON DISNEY via GIPHY

I remember watching this episode every year around Halloween and being creeped out in that scene when Esteban got “possessed” and he did the signature horror film smile. This episode just consisted of everyone at the Tipton hotel thinking that suite 613 was haunted so of course Zack and Cody wanted to see for themselves.

You can watch this episode on Disney+.

TWITCHES 1 & 2
Disney Plus Twitches GIF by Disney+ - Find & Share on GIPHY
TWITCHES ON DISNEY via GIPHY

How could you not have been obsessed with the Mowry sisters when you were younger? Them playing a pair of twin teenage witches that have to learn how to use their powers while defeating shadowed enemies had many of us hooked. GO TWITCHES, GO TWITCHES!!

You can watch these sisters on Disney+.

icarly
Season 1 Episode 7 “Iscream on Halloween”
Tv Show Television GIF by Nickelodeon - Find & Share on GIPHY
iCARLY ON NICKELODEON via GIPHY

The early episodes of iCarly were classics but the Halloween episode was something I had to watch whenever it was on. You had the infamous trio, Carly, Sam and Freddy live streaming them breaking into an apartment that they think is haunted. Spencer was carving a giant pumpkin in Spencer Shay fashion when he manages to piss off a group of trick-or-treaters when he has no candy for them. This episode was crazy in typical iCarly form but with Halloween on top of it.

You can watch this episode on Netflix.

ZOEY 101: The curse of PCA
Zoey 101 Yes GIF by NickRewind - Find & Share on GIPHY
ZOEY 101 ON NICKELODEON via GIPHY

This special episode was not a Halloween episode but it was weird enough to be shown around Halloween. Zoey and her friends want to see if the curse of Charles L. Galloway, who is a former PCA student is real. While hiking in the valley, they discover that the curse has some legitimacy because Charles starts haunting them. This special was a 10/10.

You can watch it on Paramount+.

Twilight new moon & eclipse
Bella Swan Twilight GIF by Lionsgate - Find & Share on GIPHY
TWILIGHT: NEW MOON via GIPHY
Twilight GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
TWILIGHT: ECLIPSE via GIPHY

I think that Twilight: New Moon and Eclipse are more suitable for fall and Halloween time. They are more pleasurable around this time of the year (along with the soundtracks) and make you feel cozy and at peace in the midst of the drama ironically. There’s no better time of the year to hear “Bella, where the hell have you been loca?” than in fall.

You can rent these two movies on multiple platforms until they are free on streaming again.

Pretty little liars
season 2 episode 13 “the first secret”
Scared Pretty Little Liars GIF by HBO Max - Find & Share on GIPHY
PRETTY LITTLE LIARS on FREEFORM via GIPHY

For those of us who watched Pretty Little Liars growing up, I think we can all agree that they knew how to put on excellent Halloween episodes. This episode was their first Halloween episode and it was just downright amazing. I like that it’s a flashback episode that let us get more of an idea of who Allision is outside of short flashbacks and people talking about her. She was really wicked and out of pocket in this episode.

You can watch it on HBO Max.

Halloween town
Debbie Reynolds Halloween GIF by filmeditor - Find & Share on GIPHY
HALLOWEEN TOWN ON DISNEY via GIPHY

The Halloween Town movies were some of the best Halloween-related projects that Disney released back then. I knew that on the days that they showed all the movies, I was going to be sitting in front of a screen watching them. Watching Marnie Piper evolve as a young witch with Debbie Reynolds playing her grandma amazing.

You can watch the series on Disney+.

Ambria Burton

Kennesaw '22

Ambria is a senior at Kennesaw State University where she studies journalism and political science. She enjoys listening to music, spending too much time on Pinterest, and learning about entertaining things within the world. She hopes to write in political and local reporting once she graduates.