Display of black and white photographs taken by Black photographer, Dawoud Bey, at the High Museum
Original photo by Roseline Chavannes

Black History Month at The High Museum of Art

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

Black History Month is a time to immerse oneself in the music, history, icons, and tastes of culture. The High Museum of Art in Atlanta, GA offers countless numbers of exhibitions since its opening in 1905. During the month of February, there are exhibitions shining light and knowledge from African American artists. Listed below are some of the exhibitions that not only give insight into the stories of the Black community but give light to the importance of art in sharing experiences.

Dawoud Bey

Dawoud Bey is a photographer who was born in 1953. Most of his work consists of photos that focus on race and American history. In his exhibition, Dawoud Bey: An American Project, running until March 14, 2021, he features young Black individuals and their position within African American history. To view more about him and preview some of his work click here.

David Driskell

Though he passed away in 2020, David Driskell made an impact in not only his generation of artists but in this current generation as well. His exhibition entitled Icons of Nature and History portrays collages made with mostly oil paint. To learn more about this Eatonton native, click here and be sure to check out his work before May 9, 2021.

Despite these being the only two exhibitions for Black artists, there are a plethora of art pieces throughout the museum within various departments.

African American Art

This department of the High Museum features work from 19th and 20th century artists such as Mitchell Bannister, Edmonia Lewis, and Aaron Douglas. 

African Art

Taking up an entire level within the museum, this department offers various art from places such as central Africa, groups of people like Burkina Faso, and of specialty mediums and uses such as contemporary and decorative art. Many of these pieces can date back to as early as the 13th century.

Needless to say, the High Museum gives the spotlight to African American stories and heritage. Plan a trip, even if it is a solo one, and dive into the multitude of African American art.

Roseline is a Media and Entertainment Major at Kennesaw State University. She is also a writer for HC at KSU and is an avid lover of everything that deals with the arts, books, matcha, holistic living, and videography. Feel free to follow her on Instagram!
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!