This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

From cross stitch to crocheting, learning to become a beginner again can be helpful in more ways than one.

After we leave our primary education it can be easy to think that one’s learning years are over. Our practical years have just begun and one no longer is bound by mandated education. However, keeping the mindset of a beginner can help one thrive in work, relationships and health.

While “dumb questions” may get asked it is easy to feel disheartened and not be where one expects themself to be. According to Psychology Today, becoming a beginner like we all used to be as children means that there is a space where the “dumb questions” can get asked and there is nothing to prove.

Having nothing to prove is a restful experience from the classic hustle culture of the American schooling system.

Not only can this ideology of having nothing to prove be relieving and refreshing, but can also further our ability to function in other areas in our life.

According to The Guardian, those who learned to swim become more adept at hand-eye coordination in other sports or activities. Those who learned a new language later in life became more capable at thinking tests and memory.

Learning new activities can rewire one’s brain and creates a link between the new activity and older, already known activities. This means that learning to knit can make one a better engineer.

Kids learn that items can have more than one function and do not get wrapped up in the details of one particular item doing only one function. Children are open-minded and learn to solve puzzles by taking risks. Adult learners can learn a lot by watching children master new skills.

However, the rise of perfectionism is growing in younger generations, according to Refinery29. Embracing the situation of a beginner can push aside our feelings of perfectionism and fear of failure.

Perfectionism ruins what could be with expectations of what should be. When people limit their abilities with perfectionism they ruin the chance to take risks and gain new experiences.

These new experiences is what keeps people humble and human. Learning that one single person does not have their life perfect means that we can engage in humanity and see other humans on the same level as oneself.

When people share comradery with other humans they feel are on the same level as them, they experience community and a sense of belonging.

Not only is this sense of belonging helpful in feeling one can seek help, but it creates an environment of safety for everyone involved.

Nonbinary advocate (he/they) and interested in LGBT+ topics! Junior at Kennesaw State University and writer/editor.