All Jokes Aside: Misogynoir in Comedy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

In just a matter of minutes, the 94th Academy Awards set social media ablaze through the most controversial moment between Chris Rock and Will Smith, the slap seemingly heard across the world. Everyone holds different perspectives and has voiced their opinions on who was at fault as well as who was the true victim. To this day, headlines are breaking about how Chris was abruptly attacked without warning and, at another token, how he deserved it. Societal platforms are roaring about the consequences that Will is facing and whether his actions have been blown out of proportion. But what about Jada? How is she supposed to feel? Was the incident also a slap in the face to her? The root cause of the issue lies in misogynoir, the coined term for misogyny directed at black women, and how it has shaped the world of black comedy to the point of disturbance.

As of lately, Jada Pinkett Smith has been sporting a shaved head and has been candid about her battle with alopecia. Alopecia is an autoimmune disease in which the body attacks its hair follicles, ultimately resulting in hair loss. In today’s society, black women are pressured to adhere to misconceived standards of beauty. Many have gone to great lengths to contort their hair in ways that society has deemed acceptable, even if it meant a detriment to their health. Black women’s hair has been such a big deal in society that legislation such as the Crown Act has had to be passed to protect against race-based discrimination in the job market, housing programs, and public access accommodations. Because of the cultural significance that hair holds for black women and the prevalence that alopecia has within the African American race, the condition can be particularly challenging. Yet, degrading jokes like Chris Rock’s “G.I. Jane” are viewed as normal within the realms of black comedy. Black women are occasionally the “butt of the joke” with black comedians whether it’s regarding our hair, appearance, attitude, etc.

In 2018, comedian Kevin Hart made comments regarding the perception that melanin affects intellect and behavior. Hart publicized that darker-skinned women have bad credit and are “broke ass hoes”. His remark was especially startling when thinking about how he was financially supported by his dark-skinned (now ex) wife while striving to be a comedian. In 2020, he made yet another disrespectful, misogynistic comment during his “Zero F**ks Given” debut where he jokingly called out his daughter for showing interest in multiple boys. “A week goes by, ‘Dad, I don’t like Rob no more. I like this boy named Tim’”, Hart said in the comedy special. “Instantly, in my mind, I said, ‘My daughter is a hoe… Hoe activity right in front of my face”. Although he heavily claimed that it was only a joke, the comment insinuated that black women have a tendency for being indecisive about romantic partners. 

Years after rapper Megan Thee Stallion shared her experience of being shot in the foot by Tory Lanez, many still question the veracity of her claims while others are callously mocking the incident. Comedian Jess Hilarious has since posted a viral video in which she confidently spoke some of Megan’s signature ad-libs while grabbing her foot, joking that that’s how the incident played out. Prior to Jess Hilarious’ insensitivity, Megan Thee Stallion spoke out about particular celebrities such as 50 Cent and Draya Michelle, taking the situation lightly and the shame they should feel for continuing to make light of her dark, traumatic experience. Yet, Jess Hilarious still made the video for “entertainment purposes”. It spoke volumes to the lack of compassion, care, and concern for what Megan must have been enduring with her injury while also grieving the loss of her mother and grandmother.

But it’s comedy, right? We’re trained to brush off degrading jokes no matter how hurtful they may be to their intended targets because comedy “has no limits”. For many black women watching the Oscars, Chris Rock’s casual insult of Jada was both painful and all too familiar. It’s sad to think of how often black comedians capitalize from black women’s humiliation. What is the value of a laugh, however, when it comes at the expense of degrading our own kind? What is the worth of a joke when the demographic isn’t allowed to voice their concerns amidst disrespect? What is the good within comedy when it results in trickling into our conditioned perspectives dating back to the Jim Crow era? Stereotypes that stem from mockery do more than harm the mental health of black women — they also contribute toward treating them as ‘less than.’ As consumers, we need to recognize these trends, start having discussions about the type of media we demand, and consider whether the humiliation of black women was ever funny to begin with.

Angela Hyman

Kennesaw '23

Greetings beauties! My name is Angela and I'm a senior at Kennesaw State University double majoring in Nursing and Integrated Health Science. I strive to help others because I have been blessed to have overwhelming guidance and support myself. I love all aspects of beauty from makeup to encouraging women to radiate their inner beauty through confidence, achievement, leadership, and service. I joined Her Campus at KSU not only for the sisterhood aspect, but also in hopes that my writing will shine a positive light in the lives of others in some way. We have so many great things to share with you! Follow our team so you'll never miss our articles!! ❤️