5 Things You Need to Know Before You Start a Youtube Channel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

I go to YouTube for everything! If I want to learn how to make a lace front wig, I go to YouTube. If I want to make a gourmet shrimp pasta for my boyfriend and his parents, I go to YouTube. If I want to watch Nene Leakes without paying for cable, YouTube! There is a YouTube channel out there for everything, and there will never be enough.

I started my YouTube channel (Jayla K) at the beginning of 2019. I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted to talk about or what I wanted my channel to consist of, I didn’t have anything in my bank accounts, nor did my parents buy me any expensive camera equipment for Christmas. I didn’t know how to edit, record, or upload my videos, but that didn’t stop me, and it shouldn’t stop you! Starting a YouTube channel, you only need to know these five things!

Have Confidence

I cannot tell you how many times I have been staring into my camera, stuttering over words, and feeling so uncomfortable. I’m the only one in the room, but you would assume I was on stage performing at Coachella for the very first time. If you aren’t used to seeing/hearing yourself on camera, you will immediately become super discouraged. You may already have in mind a Youtuber or social media influencer you want to sound or look like. I’m going to keep it real for you. Chances are you don’t sound or look anything like them, and that is NOT a bad thing. It’s perfect! You are you. YouTube already has a James Charles. What we do not have is you. I purposefully put this as my number 1 because if you lack confidence, getting in front of the camera is going to feel more like hard work than doing something you love. You won’t have the zeal to keep pushing, and more than likely, you’ll quit. Don’t worry; I had to build confidence in myself. After a few consistent videos, it became extremely natural for me to be in front of the camera.

Use What You Have

Do me a favor. I want you to go to your favorite YouTuber and click on their oldest video. I can almost guarantee that it looks like they recorded with a payphone. Their lighting probably puts the “t” in trash, and it probably looks like Stevie Wonder did their make-up. However, if you click on their newest video, the quality of the video looks like they spent thousands of dollars on the equipment. The last thing I am going to ask is that you look at the date on the oldest and newest video. It takes time to build up to high-end equipment, and get that top quality video! I started with an iPhone 8, natural lighting, and the iMovie editing app. I didn’t have a fancy MacBook or a ring light; nor did have anything to prop the phone up while recording. I used a stool, two boxes, three paperback books, and an old broken-down laptop to get the right angle. So, if all you have is an iPhone 5 and your grandmother’s old typewriter, you better get the best angle you can!

Be Consistent

Be consistent. Be consistent!! I had to repeat it because I cannot stress it enough. You being consistent is not only for you but for your potential/future subscribers. When you become a Youtuber, you realize how vital subscribers are. Have you ever watched a YouTube video, and they asked you to subscribe like 10x in the video? YouTubers are practically begging for one little click that so many people refuse to do. You have to give your viewers a reason to click that red button. If you have 25 videos uploaded to your channel and your most recent video was last week, you are increasing your likelihood of gaining a subscriber. Subscribers aren’t going to roll in easily. It takes time, effort, and CONSISTENCY to obtain them. Consistency also helps build your channel as well as yourself. If you are doing one video a week, you are enhancing your skills (editing, body language, personality, etc.). You will notice the quality of your videos getting better because you are figuring out what works best for you! In the beginning, building yourself should be your primary focus. Your subscribers should be your secondary focus and should be more of the motivation of staying consistent.

Quality Over Quantity

In number three, we discussed having consistent videos for your viewers. I’m going to keep it real again. If you put up a video every week just because it’s going to show. You aren’t the only one who’s going to notice your half-behind videos! You know it, and your viewers will know it. You have to give the people what they want! Lights, camera, action! You need to put on a show, have an exciting topic, or come through with the editing skills. You have to make sure you are bringing something to the table. Youtubers all over the world are bringing steak, salmon, buttered rolls, and white wine. You can’t just come with some hot dogs and potato chips! You need to show these viewers the greatness that’s in your mind!

Do It For You

Starting and maintaining a YouTube Channel is hard work. There is a chance at making a ton of money, but that will take time and plenty of effort. You can become extremely famous; however, do not let that be your primary goal. Money and fame take time. It will become super discouraging for you if you make these the primary reasons for starting a channel. It won’t come fast enough, and you may end up just giving up. You should try to lay out why you want to start a YouTube Channel, what are your goals, and what you expect to gain. It will help you figure out your intentions.

In conclusion, starting a YouTube channel is not as scary or as hard as you think. With knowing these five things, you are ready to start recording. Lights, camera, and action!

Youtuber. Writer. Fashionista. Diva.✨?
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!