samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Study Tips to Help You Ace Your Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

Whether you’ve already taken tests in every class this semester or your first exam is approaching, study skills are something everyone can improve on and can benefit from! These five tips can help you raise your grades without elevating your stress levels at the same time.

Take Good Notes

Your notes are the center of your study session, so it’s essential to take good ones! When you take notes in class, don’t copy down every word on the PowerPoint slide, especially if your professor posts their PowerPoints online. Instead, listen to the professor’s words and write down what they emphasize. Many professors will point out an important piece of information or repeat it throughout the lecture. Your notes should consist of key concepts, important details, and examples. Handwriting your notes helps you to process and remember information more accurately than typing your notes verbatim on your laptop!

Stop Cramming

It’s easy to wait until the night before an exam to study, but it isn’t as effective as studying in advance. The most recommended study method is to review your notes within 24 hours of taking them and studying a bit each day. The day an exam is announced in class is the day you should begin studying if you haven’t already. Planning to study ahead of time can save you from the exhaustion and stress that cramming can cause!

Have Multiple Study Spaces

A quiet desk is an essential study space as it’s free of distractions, and our brains are trained to associate a desk with focusing on work. One study space is not enough, though. A change of scenery is sometimes needed to help us stay in the zone and keep the boredom to a minimum. Staying in one place is one of the elements that makes studying boring. Having a variety of areas such as a coffee shop, or a shady spot outside can give you a fresh start when you switch to studying a different subject!

Take Breaks

Reward yourself for all your hard work by taking quick breaks when you study! Every hour or an hour and a half, you should take a 10-15 minute break. Get up and go for a walk outside. Do some stretches or meditation to relieve some of your tension and stress. Never take a nap, watch TV, or scroll through social media during a break. Naps can make you more tired and less motivated to get back into studying, and it’s easy to lose track of time while watching TV and surfing the internet.

Create a Routine

By making studying part of your daily routine, you can make it become a habit. Figure out a good time to study and try to stick to that schedule! It’s also more helpful to study during the day since a dark sky can make you feel tired so try to plan study sessions directly after classes or around your lunch break.

Now that you have these five tips, studying can be a breeze! Go out and excel in your classes and get those As!

Emily Rubin

Kennesaw '22

Emily is a senior at Kennesaw State University.
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!