This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

The arrival of spring means fresh starts, warmer weather, and of course, pollen. After a year of dealing with the pandemic, it’s understandable to want to take full advantage of this new season. However, with restrictions remaining or being reinstated in various locations, most of us are stuck indoors. Instead of spending your hours scrolling on social media, here are five films and shows to whisk you away to another world and get you into the spring mood without needing to step outside your home.

Little Forest

This 2018 Korean film is based off of an original story from Japan. The protagonist, Hye-won, is searching for some relief from her busy and confusing life in Seoul. Making an impulsive decision, she backs her bags and leaves for her hometown out in the countryside. With relaxing cooking segments, a mellow soundtrack, and the depiction of a slow and simple living, Little Forest will leave you feeling calm and renewed. Currently, this film is available to stream on Tubi and Amazon Prime.

The Garden of Words

Praised for its stylistic and mesmerizing animation, The Garden of Words follows the perspective of a lonely teenager who finds solace in a woman who frequently appears in the early mornings inside a quaint garden. The Garden of Words is directed by the same director as other visually pleasing films such as 5 Centimeters per Second and Children who Chase Lost Voices, Makoto Shinkai. A short and sweet film, the running time is 46 minutes long and can be found on Netflix.

The Sound of Music

The Sound of Music is a tried and true cinematic classic. If you’re into musicals, you’re sure to love this one. Follow Maria as she discovers life outside of a convent with a strict male love interest and his peculiar children. This film is available on Disney+ but if you have access to ABC’s television networks, it’s usually airing in December. What better way to get through the lingering chillier temperatures than to watch this springtime film?

Anne of Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables is the pinnacle of a visual representation of spring. Originally airing on government-funded channels such as PBS, this film (and book) will transport you to a time long ago. Though the 1985 version of the film is only available for streaming on GazeboTv, there are various remakes such as Netflix’s Anne with an E. Regardless of the version, each film or series depicts the same lovable Anne as she grows and experiences the struggles and triumphs of womanhood. 

Any Studio Ghibli Film

Whether it’s Kiki’s Delivery Service, When Marnie was Thereor My Neighbor Totoro, any film from Hayao Miyazaki’s Studio Ghibli will be sure to transport you to an otherworldly, springtime paradise. Many of these films are considered classics that can be compared to older Disney films. Grab your popcorn and head over to HBO Max to stream your choice of adventure to take.

During this final stretch of completing school assignments, booking your virtual getaway to a springtime world is one of the best ways to beat that end-of-the-semester burnout, while also following social distancing rules.

Roseline is a Media and Entertainment Major at Kennesaw State University. She is also a writer for HC at KSU and is an avid lover of everything that deals with the arts, books, matcha, holistic living, and videography. Feel free to follow her on Instagram!
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!