5 Essential Items for a Sustainable Fall Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

The current Fall season comes with a magnitude of sweater weather, pumpkin spice, fall colors, etc. In addition to all of these things that make the Fall season our favorite season, there is an abundance of resources used in a higher capacity than any other season. Here’s a list of things you need to utilize to play your part in a sustainable fall season.

Thrift Shops

We love a good thrifting session! The many pros that come with thrift shopping make it a no brainer to act upon. There is a re-use of clothing that is so beneficial to the environment. Thrifting reduces pollution and waste in a big way. During the holiday season, many people are buying clothes, and many are saying “out with the old, and in with the new,” this adds to the billions of pounds of waste that go to landfills every year. Practice sensible shopping by giving your old clothes to thrift stores and picking up some cute thrifted pieces while you’re at it! It’s one thing to be cute, but it’s even better to be cute and environmentally conscious.

Water Filters

The abundance of water used by us daily is very hurtful to the environment. How we can conserve our water use is crucial. One way is the utilization of water filters. We can easily put water filter pitchers in our fridge to use instead of buying plastic water bottles. During the holidays, many guests come over, and water bottles are seen as the most sensible beverage to have available. Skip over the waste of plastic and pour a glass of cold water from your water filter pitcher.

Reusable Straws

Plastic straws have a substantial negative impact on our environment. The vast usage of these straws in foodservice creates a huge waste that can make its way into ocean life and harm, and the creation of these straws also creates a massive release of toxic waste and fumes. Reusable straws are the way to go because they don’t cause nearly the amount of waste. Steel straws can be used for years. They are also very accessible (can be found at Walmart) and easy to keep on hand. Most importantly, there is no risk of pollution with reusable straws!

Reusable Bags and Totes

The Fall season often equates to the shopping season! With Black Friday, Christmas shopping, and grocery shopping for big feasts, plastic bags usage increases exponentially during this season. To lessen the impact of plastic bags on the environment, not only is essential to recycle and reuse bags, but it is also important to keep reusable bags and totes on hand while on a shopping trip. Many stores sell reusable bags, making these easily accessible to customers. It is recommended to keep them in your car to ensure that they are always at your disposal.

Reusable Tumblers and Coffee Cups

Fall a.k.a. Pumpkin spice season brings in a plethora of hot and cold beverages being made from a place named Starbucks. The season creates a climate cold enough that a warm beverage is a great essential. With that being said, the constant use of plastic cups in coffee shops such as Starbucks creates very unnecessary waste and an increase of plastic being dumped into our landfills. This can be avoided by ensuring that you keep cute reusable coffee mugs and tumblers on hand. Baristas can easily use the tumbler in place of the plastic cup!

Fall is the prime season to be conscious of your use of resources. There are so many ways to make the environment better by taking these small extra steps in your everyday life. Fall into these crucial habits during the season, and you will feel so much better about your impact on our beautiful planet! Cheers to a sustainable fall season!

Jasmine Holland

Kennesaw '22

I am a junior marketing major at Kennesaw State University from Augusta, Georgia #706 :) I love to write about topics relating to my own experiences, fitness, veganism, and anything that could make someone happy and/or motivate and inspire them. //ig:@plantingjasmines //ig: @jasminexmonique
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!