Style > Decor

5 DIY Valentine’s Day Decorations That Won’t Break the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

As Valentine’s Day approaches, you may want to decorate your home. Gifts and dates already cost a bit of money, but your decor doesn’t have to! Here are five DIY Valentine’s Decorations that won’t break the bank.

Yarn Wrapped Letters

To make these adorable letters, grab some hollow cardboard letters at your local craft store and some yarn of your choice.

You can spell out “LOVE,” “XOXO,” or “ILY” for a cute Valentine’s Day-themed message. Glue strips of yarn down onto the edges of the letters you won’t be able to wrap over. Dot some hot glue on the beginning edge of your yarn to secure it in place and begin wrapping your letter. To achieve the ombre effect, switch from your darkest color to your middle color on the bottom letters and secure with glue and keep wrapping until the whole letter is covered. Repeat that step when switching to your lightest color on your top letters. Once you finish wrapping, glue the yarn in place and trim off the excess.

This project is time-consuming, so you might want to do it while watching a movie or binge-watching a TV show!

Heart Wreath

To make this cute pompom heart wreath, you’ll need a wire hanger, pliers, small pipe insulator, homemade yarn pompoms, and duct tape.

Start by bending the hanger into a heart shape using your hands. With the pliers, bend the hook into a more circular shape. Take your small pipe insulator and cut it in half. Use the halves to wrap each side of the hanger. Cut the bottom edges of each side at a 45° angle, so they match up. Wrap the connecting edges on the top and bottom of the heart with duct tape.

Now that the form is made, you can add your pompoms. Take the center string of the pompom and tie it onto the foam. Continue tying pompoms on until the entire heart is covered.

When you finish, you can hang the wreath on a command hook anywhere you’d like!

Candy Vase

If you want to put real flowers in your vase, fill the small jar with water and place your flowers inside.

For a longer-lasting centerpiece, place fake flowers in the vase without water.

Stitched Heart Garland

For this lovely project, you’ll need a piece of scrap paper, a pencil, stiff felt or glittery paper, scissors, and a sewing machine.

Start by cutting out a heart using your scrap paper. When you’re satisfied with your heart shape, trace it onto your glittery paper or felt. The more hearts you make, the longer your garland will be.

Cut out your hearts and pile them up. If you used multiple colors, stack your hearts in the pattern you want to follow.

Start your sewing machine and leave some extra thread before you stitch through the first heart. Stitch through the center of the first heart and leave a small gap before adding the next. Continue adding hearts to the garland until you run out. Leave extra thread at the end and cut the garland off the machine.

To hang up the garland, tape one end to the wall, let it droop down in the middle, and tape the other end.

Heart Tree

To make this gorgeous heart tree, you’ll need scissors, a hot glue gun, colored cardstock, tape, a champagne flute, and a heart-shaped paper punch.

Start with one piece of cardstock and create a cone. This is just like making paper birthday hats. Tape the seam and stand your cone up on the champagne flute.
Punch out hearts from your colored cardstock. Glue the hearts upside down onto the cone starting from the bottom. Slightly overlap the hearts for a fuller effect. Work your way up the cone and glue two hearts together to make a point on top of the cone.

You can leave the tree as it is, or you can add a thin ribbon to the tree to mimic tinsel. Display your tree as a centerpiece at your table or as a decoration on a shelf.

These DIY Valentine’s Day decorations are sure to give any guests heart eyes and they don’t cost too much to make! Wow your guests and have a great Valentine’s Day!

Emily Rubin

Kennesaw '22

Emily is a senior at Kennesaw State University.
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!