Light the Runway for A Cause: The Models Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Keiser LAC chapter.

High heels, make-up, fashion designers, stores, flashes, photos, action!

Beyond a glamorous night, there are many people working and planning backstage to make it successful. This year, the fashion Club organized the fashion show “Light the Runway for a Cause” with the purpose of supporting the Mission Trip and Little Heroes. In the hands of the Fashion Club’s president, Genesis Montoya and her vice-president, Natalia Areas, the task of making the runway show a special night became possible when they mixed the love for the fashion and the passion for helping communities around our campus such as the Aragon community and Color Esperanza, which care for children with cancer.

This is the third year that I participated in the fashion show and in my opinion, beyond the light at the end of the runway, there is a unique satisfaction found because you are doing something that you like and at the same time, using your image and your passion for contributing to society and helping children and people that really need it. I believe this is because you comply with your social responsibility that is given back a little from life give to you.

An amazing little fact? Not only girls participate in the runway, but boys also have the opportunity to strut their outfits as well! Ever since the fashion show was founded, boys have also enrolled in the activities of this project and left behind any shyness they may have had. Leandro Martinez, for example, participated in the fashion show in 2012 when he was freshman year and just 17 years old. According to Leandro, this experience allowed him to cultivate new friendships. Moreover, he adds, “I learned that in order to help the ones in need, there must be a true and passionate effort coming from us, and I felt that when I participated in the Fashion Show”.

Likewise, for Karla Moreno this experience was special due to the same reason and also because it was her first time in the scenario! Like Leandro, she also made new friends. “This was my first time modeling and I had a lot of fun living together this experience with the girls. I feel very fulfilled with myself not only because I had the opportunity to model, but also because my participation contributed with the Mission Trip and Little Heroes. I know for sure that one grain of sand multiplied!”, Karla says.

The night also counted with live music thanks to our talented campus students of the Music club and Dj Boro, who both set up the ambiance to the place. The presence of special guests Miss World Nicaragua Maria Laura Ramirez, Miss Teen Centro America Jenny Rueda and Miss Teen Nicaragua Cindy Gutierrez, in addition of fashion designers Carolina Chamorro for Mapali, Jessica Ubeda, and Maria Julia Alvarez for F5, made the night even more enchanting! Furthermore, the fashion show counted with the participation of local stores such as Aisha, Viva’s Seduction, Joyas Esther and Men’s Fashion, who also provided their products and clothes for the runway.

Once all the models walked the walk and showed their catwalk skills wearing all of these fabulous designer items, the show finished with the walk of the professional models invited wearing Mapali. Meanwhile, the rest of the models backstage looked back at the night with a smile on their faces, ready to take on their own final walk of the night. I think we all learned to value the stressful and nervous moments before walking back up on the runway.It is easy to think that going onstage is all about having your glory moments, but after all is done, you truly begin to value the opportunity given to you, the excitement, and the experience you gained from it, something I will personally, never forget.

I born in Hollywood, CA. United States. I am 20 years old. I live in Nicaragua with my mom. I study in Keiser University Latin American Campus, this is my Junior year. I have boyfiend since almost 3 years (love at first sigth). love for my pets and my friend. Passion for modeling and make up. Dreamer and enthusiastic person. I believe in God and the karma.
Valeria is the correspondent and head editor of her chapter in Keiser University Latin American Campus and is a second-semester freshman pursuing a degree in International Business diplomacy. She has an addiction to reading, writing, and cookie milkshakes. She manages her chapter’s club on her campus in Nicaragua and is actively involved in other campus activities as well, but you can usually find her gushing about the latest novel she read, having lots of snacks, and playing tennis.