Campus Celebrity: Marina Rivas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Keiser LAC chapter.

Name: Marina Rivas

Age: 21

Hometown: Jinotepe, Nicaragua

Class Status: Senior

1. How did you get started in soccer?

When I moved back to Nicaragua from Miami, I was 8 years old. A lot of the activities revolved around soccer, so I tried to fit in and it has stuck ever since.

2. Who is the sport icon that has influenced you the most?

I remember watching Iker Casillas play his position when Real Madrid was truly good and I always have looked up to him as a goalkeeper. And Mia Hamm because she was at the time the face of female soccer in the United States. Now that the sport has advanced so much, and the female soccer team is world champion, Hope Solo is a pretty good inspiration.

3. What is your training schedule like? Do you practice everyday?

I have tried to balance my time throughout my college years in order to always be available at 4pm at least 3 times a week, that’s usually the time the team practices. I live in jinotepe, and it isn’t as easy for me, but I manage.

4. What motivates you to play soccer?

It’s really simple. when I play soccer, I feel that I am in control. The coach can always guide you, but at the end you are always in control of your actions.

5. What advice would you give to young players who want to become soccer players?

To engage in the sport if it truly drives you. No one will exceed in anything if you don’t feel passion for what you do.

6. Between being the most attractive person of the world but also the poorest or richer but the ugliest, which you would choose?

None. Wealth can come and go, and physical appearance is ever so changing. A person should always indulge in wisdom, real riches lay in knowledge.

7. Your favorite phrase?

“Everything happens for a reason”

8. If you had the opportunity to transform you into one of your friends, who would be and why?

This is a hard question to be honest. Maybe my mom. Before everything else she is my best friend, and I would like to see the world through her eyes.

9. What is something not many people know about you?

I am part of the 9gag community.

10. What are your future plans and dreams?

I look forward to becoming a professional, to work, wherever that may be. I’ve done the studying for nearly 16 years, I want to challenge the skills I have acquired and put them into practice.

I am a Sophomore in Keiser University Latin American Campus, and my major is Political Science. I enjoy reading, writing, and playing volleyball. I love Nicaragua, my favourite place is Granada because of it's rich culture, and vibrant colors. My favourite singer is Halsey, and her album Badlands is definitely my favourite album. I love having new opportunities, I am a risk taker, and I really enjoy taking on new adventures. Right now, I am enjoying the ride and I am learning new things every day!