Writing Is In Her Fins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kean chapter.

Occupied in the halls of Kean University are many unique and gifted individuals. Senior English major Stephanie Martinez can definitely be added to the group of talented individuals. With a major in English Writing and a minor in Management, Stephanie is a hard-working, dedicated student who excels not only in class, but outside of class. It’s great when a student enters college and strives to get good grades, but when the student takes that extra step and begins to get involved around campus and become a student leader, they only help promote and better themselves. Stephanie is an enchanting mermaid of Lambda Tau Omega Sorority Inc., a cougar volunteer, a member of the leadership council and the senior editor for the Cougar Byte.

Being involved around campus is only the beginning when it comes to Stephanie. When asked about hobbies, I found out a couple of interesting things. Not only is Stephanie a great writer, but she also has been playing the piano for six years, not something you would expect out of an English major. Moreover, when asked about what material Stephanie enjoyed writing about, another surprise was poetry. “Dr. Rich told me write what you want and since taking this class I really enjoy writing poetry.”

Graduating this semester, Stephanie would love to work for V.I.C.E magazine in order to show society “real” news and not sugarcoat information being portrayed to the people. Especially considering that in today’s the media spins and twists stories in way to gain and maintain views, keeping it “real” is a necessity.

We all have quotes that we like to use in life and Stephanie also had a great quote that she likes to refer to:

“The mind can make a heaven out of hell and a hell out of heaven.”

Very powerful words from a very powerful writer.   

Brent Clarke Communication / Media Major N.Y. Jets Detroit Pistons Beta Kappa Psi Black and Latino Fraternity Inc. Director of Public Relations West Indian Culture Club "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" Instagram - @el_hombre_clarke
I received my Associate's degree in Liberal Arts Journalism at Middlesex County College. I have a variety of Journalism experience. I was in charge of children's newsletter at a summer camp program. I worked on a news report at MCC about a program called "Give Kids a Smile" and this program provided free dental care to children. I am great at digital photography, interviewing, and networking. I also wrote for two school newspapers.The first was "Quo Vadis" for Middlesex County College. I am currently a second time writer for "The Tower" newspaper at Kean. I am currently the Vice President of Her Campus for the Fall semester 2013 and during the Spring I will be the President of Her Campus Kean magazine. This May 2014 I will be graduating with my Bachelor's degree in Communications/ Journalism.