Will Thanksgiving Disappear Because of Black Friday?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kean chapter.

Christmas is just around the corner. Commercials have already begun and sales are getting earlier and earlier each year. Who has time for thanksgiving anymore? Each year, the day people celebrate being thankful for family and friends, becomes shorter and shorter.

Instead of spending the day together people become more focused on other things such as Black Friday. These Late night shoppers do not have food on their minds, and the last thing they want to eat is a lot of turkey, it is believed that turkey has a chemical in it called Tryptophan, an Amino Acid which makes people tired. I try not to eat too much on turkey on Thanksgiving because I want to make sure I can stay up all night. Family time is reduced and the only thing people are thankful for is shopping.

Thanksgiving has turned into the day where Newspapers and store catalogs fill the table. People plan out their night, looking over each catalog to find the best Door-buster deals. This year dinner is going to be interrupted because of the early store openings. Sales used to start when the clock strikes midnight on Thanksgiving night. Now we have a Black Thanksgiving.

At this rate Thanksgiving might just keep disappearing more and more each year, and we will go straight from Halloween to Christmas.

Is it too soon to think about Christmas? Stores seem to have a good marketing strategy to have it sooner but holidays should not be rushed. Christmas is still a month away and there is plenty of time to go shopping. Why do people speed up time?

So much stress is put on workers on this day. There are so many workers who encounter this same problem, and seems unnecessary to have to miss Thanksgiving to have to deal with a stampede of shoppers early the next morning.

This year stores are opening extremely early. This is the earliest yet. I remember when almost nothing was open on Thanksgiving Day. I feel like that was the point. Workers shouldn’t have to be away from family on a day where you are supposed to celebrate it.

The majority of stores will be opening between the hours of 5 and 6 PM on Thanksgiving Day. Toys R Us, Kohl’s, Wal-Mart, Jcpenny, and Macy’s are just a few of the many stores. Thanksgiving dinner is supposed to be in the evening, but it doesn’t seem possible anymore.

Families will have to begin to have earlier meals to be ready in time to go shopping. You know this has turned into a big problem when you start to look up gifts in the beginning of October, before Halloween. Gift giving has turned into a huge deal.

When did we become so obsessing with gift giving? I always try to remember the Dr.Suess story, How the Grinch Stole Christmas. All the presents were taken away but being with family was all that mattered. This quote has stuck out to me. “What if Christmas he thought doesn’t come from a store? What if Christmas perhaps means a little bit more”.