Grassroots Glamour: A Union County Native Goes It Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kean chapter.

Grassroots Glamour …A Union County Native Goes It Alone

An intimate group of friends, family, and well-wishers of local fashion designer Rafiqa Young gathered in Hillside’s Conant Park on October 19, 2013 to witness the soft launching of Young’s debut  plus-sized fashion line “Bobbi Harris”. The line, named after a nickname of Young’s, is a dream of the Art Institute graduate.

While some industry hopefuls, clamoring to be accepted by fashion’s old guard, restrict themselves to present their lines during September and February in New York, Young chose to compile the resources available to her and just put her creations out there right at home in Union County, New Jersey. 

Guests were greeted by handmade pink and white cupcakes that Young made herself bearing the monogram “BH.” Two wooden mannequins wearing looks from the collection stood atop a picnic table blending in with the rustic setting. 

Those in attendance were treated to colorful gift bags filled with bite-sized candy, promotional photos Young financed herself, and the hip-hop mixtape “Will DJ for kicks Vol. 2” by fellow local entrepreneur Michael Purefoy, professionally known as DJ MPURE who wanted to support Young’s efforts.

The event ended with Young giving a heartfelt speech thanking everyone for supporting her informal gathering and attendees whipping out their smartphones to snap pictures of the determined young woman.