Gerard Smithwrick- Singing To Lead One Step At A Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kean chapter.

Every university has students that you tend to see everywhere; Gerard is one of those students. Known to many for being a brother of Beta Kappa Psi Black and Latino Fraternity Incorporated, Gerard is a senior history major. Even though Gerard is known by many for being in a frat, what else is there to him? Gerard is also Vice President of Standards and Conduct for the Greek senate and Vice President of the Kean Gospel Choir. With all these roles and positions being held I asked Gerard how do you balance school and involvement in so many organizations and his response was simple.

“Some weeks it’s really easy and other weeks I want to pull my hair out and turn my phone off. I start by making my schedule each semester, keeping in mind what days I need to keep clear. Then I put in my commitments. I love all my organizations and responsibilities. I’m a 10x better leader because of it.”

With little to no extra time on his hands, Gerard must not have much time for fun or relaxation right? Wrong, when Gerard is not trying to break a stage stepping or singing to glorify his lord; he enjoys reading, playing PS3, singing of course, and working on his Latin dance skills. I ask Gerard for one interesting fact about himself and he responded:

“I love fashion, both men’s and women’s; I want to go into the fashion industry.” Gerard may sooner or later be the next Kanye West and create his own clothing line, even though it’s not Ralph.

A fan of Justin Timberlake, meringue, salsa, bachata, Assassins Creed, Gerard does indeed have a fun side to him.

We all have quotes that we like to use in life and Gerard is no different. When asked about a memorable or inspirational quote, Gerard gave a great one:

“Become the kind of leader that people would follow, even if you had no title or position” – Brian Tracy.

The question is, are you the kind of leader that people would follow?  

Brent Clarke Communication / Media Major N.Y. Jets Detroit Pistons Beta Kappa Psi Black and Latino Fraternity Inc. Director of Public Relations West Indian Culture Club "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" Instagram - @el_hombre_clarke
I received my Associate's degree in Liberal Arts Journalism at Middlesex County College. I have a variety of Journalism experience. I was in charge of children's newsletter at a summer camp program. I worked on a news report at MCC about a program called "Give Kids a Smile" and this program provided free dental care to children. I am great at digital photography, interviewing, and networking. I also wrote for two school newspapers.The first was "Quo Vadis" for Middlesex County College. I am currently a second time writer for "The Tower" newspaper at Kean. I am currently the Vice President of Her Campus for the Fall semester 2013 and during the Spring I will be the President of Her Campus Kean magazine. This May 2014 I will be graduating with my Bachelor's degree in Communications/ Journalism.