This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kean chapter.

The dreaded term freshman fifteen was first coined by Seventeen Magazine in 1989 and has spread anxiety among freshmen about gaining fifteen pounds during the first year of college. This is not a given and there is not a lot of evidence to support the theory of freshman fifteen.

First of all, only about 10% of freshmen gain fifteen or more pounds and in great contrast 25% actually lose weight because they are busy socializing and hurrying to class and forget to eat. Most people who gain weight only fall into the 2-5 lbs range. If one does gain weight, it is not due to stress alone. Weight gain can be caused by skipping breakfast, decrease physical activity, unhealthy snacks, consuming high-calorie liquids including alcohol, lack of sleep, and eating large proportions of food.

However, a freshman can also gain weight because most seventeen and eighteen-year olds are not finished growing and typically adolescence does not end until about age twenty. The bottom line is that the freshman fifteen is mostly myth based on statistics but that does not mean college students should not live healthy lifestyles.

Photo credit

http://www.thelunchbox.org/community/lunchbox/2011/10/17/college-cafeteria-food-good-bad-and-ugly

www.walmart.com

I graduated from Watchung Hills Regional High School and began Kean University in Fa 2013. My major is Psychology but it was formerly English. In high schoolI took AP courses in English Language and Composition as well English Literature Composition. I am considering going for a minor in English since it is still one of my favorite subjects. My hobbies are music, reading, writing, doing puzzles, and art.
I received my Associate's degree in Liberal Arts Journalism at Middlesex County College. I have a variety of Journalism experience. I was in charge of children's newsletter at a summer camp program. I worked on a news report at MCC about a program called "Give Kids a Smile" and this program provided free dental care to children. I am great at digital photography, interviewing, and networking. I also wrote for two school newspapers.The first was "Quo Vadis" for Middlesex County College. I am currently a second time writer for "The Tower" newspaper at Kean. I am currently the Vice President of Her Campus for the Fall semester 2013 and during the Spring I will be the President of Her Campus Kean magazine. This May 2014 I will be graduating with my Bachelor's degree in Communications/ Journalism.