Do-it-Yourself Fun and Flirty Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kean chapter.

The fall season has officially arrived with all its fun festivities: apple and pumpkin picking, haunted hay rides, baking delicious fall favorites, pumpkin coffee and of course, Halloween! Who wouldn’t be excited?

Now ladies, planning on going out for Halloween can be a bit pricey. With women’s costumes not made from the best materials, yet, costing a fortune at most party stores, you may find yourself settling for just a plain and simple costume that does not give you the “WOW” factor that you were looking for.

However, I have come up with some great do-it-yourself costume ideas that are sure to please your wallet. These fun and flirty costumes are not hard to make by any means, so do not feel overwhelmed by the term, “do-it-yourself.”

[pagebreak]

Black Cat or Cat Woman

• Black top or black sweater
• Black jeggings or black leggings (whichever you feel most comfortable in)
• Black heels, flats or boots
• All you have to purchase is a tail, ears and an eye mask to complete your look! (Party stores usually sell these items in a kit for approximately $10.00)

(Photo credit: Go4Costumes.com)

[pagebreak]

Movie Starlet

• A pretty, fancy dress (that you own)
• Classic, shiny jewelry (make sure it is costume jewelry just in case you misplace or lose it)
• Heels
• This is optional, but doing your make-up with this costume would look amazing!

(Photo credit: HalloweenExpress.com)

[pagebreak]

Fairy

• Any pastel-colored top
• Any pastel-colored shorts, leggings or skirt (white works well too)
• Any white, tan or pastel-colored flats or heels
• Just purchase pretty wings of your choice and a wand to go along with your costume, and you are good to go!

(Photo credit: CostumesGalore.net)

[pagebreak]

Howdy Cowgirl

• Any type of plaid shirt or white top
• Jean shorts (cut-offs are optional) or a long, brown skirt to go with the white top
• Cowboy style boots or regular boots
• A big belt
• Of course, a cowboy hat to complete the look!

(Photo credit: CowgirlHat.org)

[pagebreak]

Hopefully, these “do-it-yourself” Halloween costume ideas will help you choose the best Halloween costume for this year. If these costumes aren’t your style, you can always come up with a different costume idea using your own clothing, shoes and accessories. Just think outside the box and be creative.

Have a fun, happy and most importantly, safe Halloween!

Francesca was born and raised in Sicily, and speaks Italian fluently. She migrated to the United States with her family when she was 11-years-old. Francesca did not speak English when she arrived in the U.S., but that did not stop her from continuing to be a good student. She always enjoyed learning and opening her mind to new ideas and concepts. Francesca's favorite quote is "Veni, Vidi, Vici" (I came, I saw, I conquered) by Julius Caesar. That quote doesn't only relate to Francesca migrating to the U.S., learning a new language and adapting to a new culture, but it also relates to her battle against cancer. She was diagnosed with Rhabdomyosarcoma in 2005 and completed all of her treatments in 2006. She has been a cancer survivor since then. Francesca continues to live her life to the fullest and to achieve success. She is currently a Communications/Journalism student at Kean University, NJ. Prior attending Kean, she attended Raritan Valley Community College in Branchburg, NJ, where she earned her Associate's Degree in both Communications and English. Francesca is passionate about writing and editing. She has written several news and feature articles for The Tower, Kean's student newspaper, and she is currently the Head Online Editor for The Tower. Francesca is also an intern at www.thealternativepress.com, where she covers events and meetings in Westfield, NJ. Her career goals include writing feature stories for The New York Times and eventually, launching her own magazine company. When she's not busy, Francesca loves to spend time with her family and her friends. She enjoys cooking and creating new recipes, watching movies with her boyfriend and simply relaxing. After the fall semester is over, she plans to launch her own blog about her two favorite topics: fashion and food. A little advice from Francesca: "You can do anything you set your mind to."