This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kean chapter.

Despite being known as the former Editor-in-Chief of the independent Kean student newspaper, the Tower, and the current News Director of 90.3 fm Cougar Radio, campus celebrity Brian Konchalski considers himself anything but.

“I’m kind of glad I just flew under the radar,” said Konchalski.

Konchalski, a senior Communication/ Journalism major may think he flew under the radar since he started coming here in 2008, but he has definitely left his mark in the Communications Department. Although he spent his first two years at Kean as a Math Education major, Konchalski changed his major after hearing a lecture about journalism by a speaker that his Communications 1402 instructor had invited to class. From there Konchalski spent three semesters on the Tower as a reporter, one as the news editor, and last semester as the Editor-In-Chief.

Konchalski also hosted the Punk Block last semester on Cougar Radio on Mondays from 5p.m.-7p.m. He was also working on a radio show that focused on Kean students’ commentary on news items, but upon his co-host backing out, the show never made it to the air. All hope is not lost; Konchalski is still open to finding a news-savvy co-host.

“I’m looking for a co-host,” said Konchalski, “someone that knows the news.”

Upon graduating in May Konchalski hopes career wise, like almost all soon-to-be college graduates, to just be able to get employed. His dream job would be writing for The Intercept, investigative journalists Jeremy Scahill and Glenn Greenwald’s recently started digital magazine.

“It would be cool if I could work there,” said Konchalski, “and watch the development of a news organization.”

In summing up his whole experience at Kean, Konchalski said it was honestly, “a once in a lifetime chance.”

Communications/ Journalism Major. Freelance Journalist for The Alternative Press of Westfield NJ, The Alternative Press of Plainfield NJ and the Kean Student Newspaper the Tower. Blogger at homegrownnj.wordpress.com Follow me @AlexandriaAddes Gonzo Journalism Enthusiast!
I received my Associate's degree in Liberal Arts Journalism at Middlesex County College. I have a variety of Journalism experience. I was in charge of children's newsletter at a summer camp program. I worked on a news report at MCC about a program called "Give Kids a Smile" and this program provided free dental care to children. I am great at digital photography, interviewing, and networking. I also wrote for two school newspapers.The first was "Quo Vadis" for Middlesex County College. I am currently a second time writer for "The Tower" newspaper at Kean. I am currently the Vice President of Her Campus for the Fall semester 2013 and during the Spring I will be the President of Her Campus Kean magazine. This May 2014 I will be graduating with my Bachelor's degree in Communications/ Journalism.