3 Tips on How to Plan a Back to School Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kean chapter.

Welcome back to school my Kean collegiettes! It’s time to say goodbye to your summer days and get back into the swing of things for the new Fall 2012 semester.

As you may know, getting back into “school mode” is pretty rough after having those few months off from school. You are reaching for your goals and dreams and you are always finding ways to further your education and build your future; but what about taking good care of your body and your health at the same time?

As you start your new classes and get to know your new classmates, you cannot forget about yourself. You have to make sure you are happy and healthy so that you can focus on your academics and earn good grades, and feel good about yourself as well. That’s why planning and sticking to a routine is essential during your long study days ahead.

It’s as easy as one, two and three!

1. Exercise — Start off by planning a good work-out that works for you! Whether it’s for 10 minutes or for 2 hours— running, walking, yoga or crunches in the morning or at night—fitting a work-out in your schedule can really boost your self-esteem and help you feel more energetic as well as looking great.

2. Healthy Diet — How about adding a tasty, nutritious diet to your routine? Sometimes, you may feel that you cannot fit healthy and wholesome meals into your life due to busy days, late night studying and/or hectic work schedules. However, going grocery shopping in the beginning of the week to purchase healthy foods may change that. Just by doing so, you are not only saving money by not hitting up the cafeteria everyday for your breakfast, lunch and dinner, but you are also saving a lot of calories too.

3. Good Night Sleep — Last but not least, try to fit a good night sleep in your routine. Don’t wait until the last minute to write your paper or study for an exam.

Plan your studies ahead of time so that you don’t have to stay up all night finishing your assignments. Getting a good night sleep will help you stay focused during your lectures and prevent you from falling asleep in class.

With maintaining a well-balanced routine, you are not only receiving great benefits by sticking to it, but you are also changing your lifestyle into something that can become very rewarding for your mind and your body. Switching up a few things in your life can truly make a difference. Good luck!

Francesca was born and raised in Sicily, and speaks Italian fluently. She migrated to the United States with her family when she was 11-years-old. Francesca did not speak English when she arrived in the U.S., but that did not stop her from continuing to be a good student. She always enjoyed learning and opening her mind to new ideas and concepts. Francesca's favorite quote is "Veni, Vidi, Vici" (I came, I saw, I conquered) by Julius Caesar. That quote doesn't only relate to Francesca migrating to the U.S., learning a new language and adapting to a new culture, but it also relates to her battle against cancer. She was diagnosed with Rhabdomyosarcoma in 2005 and completed all of her treatments in 2006. She has been a cancer survivor since then. Francesca continues to live her life to the fullest and to achieve success. She is currently a Communications/Journalism student at Kean University, NJ. Prior attending Kean, she attended Raritan Valley Community College in Branchburg, NJ, where she earned her Associate's Degree in both Communications and English. Francesca is passionate about writing and editing. She has written several news and feature articles for The Tower, Kean's student newspaper, and she is currently the Head Online Editor for The Tower. Francesca is also an intern at www.thealternativepress.com, where she covers events and meetings in Westfield, NJ. Her career goals include writing feature stories for The New York Times and eventually, launching her own magazine company. When she's not busy, Francesca loves to spend time with her family and her friends. She enjoys cooking and creating new recipes, watching movies with her boyfriend and simply relaxing. After the fall semester is over, she plans to launch her own blog about her two favorite topics: fashion and food. A little advice from Francesca: "You can do anything you set your mind to."